30 May 2019

CHM, J.L., and how we all met

It was the autumn of 1982. I had decided that year that it was time for me to go home. Back to the U.S., I mean. I had been living in Paris for three years, working part-time as a teacher and as the resident director of a small American college's study abroad program in Paris. I was 33 years old and I was starting to think I needed to find a "real" job, start a career, and start paying into a retirement system so that I'd have something to live on when I got older.

The harbor and small port town of Carteret, in Normandy, where J.L owned a house.

I had always thought I would like to live in Washington DC. I had friends there, and had spent time there with them. Chicago was tempting too — I had spent five years as a graduate student at the University of Illinois in Urbana, teaching and working toward my PhD in French linguistics. But Washington had a more international feel than Chicago, not to mention a milder climate. It was also much closer to North Carolina, where I was born, had grown up, and gone to college. My whole family lived in North Carolina.

I wasn't sure what kind of career I might manage to create for myself. In August 1982, I rented a apartment in Arlington, Virginia, and set about looking for opportunities. After having spent six or seven years of my life living and working in France, I hoped I could find a job that would involve French language skills. Walt and I had become friends in Paris, and soon he moved to Washington too.

From the beach in Carteret, and in this photo, you can see the Isle of Jersey on the horizon.

Sometime in October, an old North Carolina friend of mine who had been living and working in DC for about 10 years phoned me and said she had just seen an ad in the Washington Post for a French-language translator position. She and I had studied French together and even spent six months on a study abroad program in Aix en Provence in 1970. You should apply, she told me. So I did.

The person who was trying to hire a translator was, it turned out, CHM's old friend J.L., the head of the French translation unit at the U.S. Information Agency. CHM had been living in the DC area for nearly 15 years, having moved there from Paris at about the same time I first came to France as a student. He was working as a translator at USIA too. J.L. and her husband, who was a childhood friend of CHM's, had been living and working in DC for 30 years or so. I didn't know either of them at that point, of course. I'm writing this because CHM told me yesterday that J.L passed away this week.

In 1982, there was a test to take for that translation job. J.L. gave me an American news article to translate, put me in a quiet room, and let me have a go at it. That was that. Weeks went by and I heard nothing. I'm not even sure I actually met J.L in person during that time; somebody else administered the test, I think. Time was passing, and Christmas was coming. I was still unemployed, but Walt had found a job.

I stayed in this hotel/restaurant Carteret in 2004, and again with Walt in 2005.

One day between Christmas and New Year's Day, I was at home in my apartment when the phone rang. It was a Frenchman named CHM calling, out of the blue. He explained to me that his friend and colleague J.L. had asked him to take a look at a translation I had done as part of a job application and to give her his opinion of my skills. He asked me to come to the USIA offices on Pennsylvania Avenue and talk to him about a position he himself was trying to fill.

I did so in January 1983. CHM was the editor of the French-language edition of magazine that USIA published for distribution in Africa. CHM's assistant editor, a Frenchwoman, had retired and gone off to live in — guess where — North Carolina. CHM needed a new assistant, and he asked me to come work with him as a contractor, on a trial basis. If it worked out, he would try to get me hired on a permanent basis, either as an editorial assistant or as his assistant editor.


Well, it obviously worked out. I was hired as a translator, though I actually never really translated anything. CHM farmed out English-language texts to various francophone translators around the DC area, and then we turned the draft translations into publishable material by comparing them to the original English texts and making sure they were accurate. My French was good enough for me to be able to tell CHM when I thought the French translation was off the mark, not conveying the meaning of the English original. We would spend hours trying to figure out how to re-word and polish up the translations. Plus, we had all the work of entering the French texts into the computer, formatting them, and proof-reading, which I could also help with.

After about two years, everything changed again. USIA decided to move the magazine's editorial offices to Paris — but not us. I was transferred to the agency's press service for African affairs, where I worked not as a translator but as a reporter, writer, and editor. J.L., whom of course I had met by then, was still the head of the service's translation section. I think she and her translators were happy to have on staff an American who spoke and wrote pretty good French and could help them with language and translation questions.

I was enjoying my new "career" — it turned out that J.L. had never actually been authorized to hire a translator back in 1982 when I was a candidate. It was just luck that CHM had been consulting with her during the hiring process and happened to need somebody with my skills to join his staff. Le hasard fait parfois bien les choses...

In 1986, Walt and I moved to California. That's another long story. I started over again, searching for another career. I ended up working as an editor and manager of a computer magazine, and then moved to work as an editor and manager in a series of software companies. CHM and I stayed in touch, partly because he had California connections too and frequently came to the U.S. West Coast for vacations.

In January 1992, Walt and I came to France to spend some time in Paris, Normandy, and Brittany. We drove up to Cherbourg because I wanted to go see the nearby town of Carteret. The reason for that had to do with historical connections — I was born and raised in Carteret County, North Carolina, and vaguely knew how it had come to be named after a town in France. That year, CHM came to Paris while we were there, and I told him about our Normandy excursion.

Wow, he said, that's a coincidence. Our friend J.L. owns a house in Carteret. It was her grandparents' house, and she spends her summer vacations there. Years later, after CHM had retired from his position at USIA — he had become the head French translator there when J.L. retired — and he started visiting J.L. in Carteret during his summers in France. In 1998, I flew to Paris and drove up there and spent a few days with CHM and J.L., touring around the area. I went back to Carteret several times after Walt and I moved to France in 2003, and I also saw J.L. in Paris many times over the years.

I'm including a few photos I took in Carteret in 2004, before I started blogging. R.I.P., J.L.




J.L.'s house in Carteret, where she spent many summers

20 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ken. I knew you would write something nice about J.L. and our connections.

    If J.L. had not wanted somebody to countercheck anonymously the accuracy of the translations done by applicants -- at another time she had nasty complaints by a would-be translator -- I would never had met you!

    She was as impressed by your test as I was, but she could not hire a non native of the language. My case, as you mentioned, was different.

    Again, thank you. RIP J.L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I didn't get too many details wrong. I remember well the 1998 and 2004 trips to see you and J.L. in Carteret. And I remember going up to the top of the Tour Montparnasse with you, Frank, Walt, and J.L. in July 2000. I'm so sorry that the end of her life was difficult. I believe that everybody enjoyed working with her at USIA.

      Delete
    2. I always knew, from early on, that J.L. had a house in Normandy, but imagine my surprise when you told me her place was in Carteret, a town I had made a point to visit in 1992.

      Delete
    3. Pour moi, c'est la série noire. In little more than a month I lost four loved ones, two cousins - husband and wife three weeks apart - and two old friends.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about JL passing.

    RP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, RP, it is sad. But it was already sad a few years ago, because JL's health had deteriorated greatly. I enjoyed getting to know her a little better over the past 20 years — our history, including you, goes back about 35 years. I always found JL to be very reserved in temperament.

      Hope you are doing well. Things here are on an even keel. All the best to you.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this insightful and moving account, which it is sad that death inspired it. Your story shows how life moves obliquely, by chance connections, and it also shows the importance of friendships. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Roderick. Friendships develop and prosper for reasons we can't always predict or understand. CHM and I have been friends for nearly four decades. I can't say I was such a friend to J.L., but I appreciated her calm and even personality, and I enjoyed knowing her in both professional and more informal situations. I remember an afternoon in Paris in July 2000 when she, Walt and I had planned to go spend some time at the Louvre. We met at CHM's apartment at lunchtime. Very quickly, a dark, windy thunderstorm came up, and torrents of rain began falling. We decided that the visit to the museum was out of the question. We instead spent the afternoon at CHM's, getting to know each other a little better than before. It's a good memory.

      Delete
  4. Loved reading the backstory of how you all met, and so sad for J.L.'s passing. Long-term friendships are a gift! The Hotel Carteret is quite attractive.

    I was living in DC at the same time as you Ken. Chicago's wonderful too...if you're there on a good weather day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt and I lived in DC from August 2002 until October 2006, when we moved lock stock and barrel to San Francisco.

      Delete
    2. I think you meant from August 1982 to October 1986. And you got to San Francisco just in time for the quake.

      Delete
    3. I do that all the time. 2002 for 1982. 2006 for 1986. Or vice-versa. I'm hopeless.

      Delete
    4. Péché avoué est à moitié pardonné!

      Delete
    5. That's OK with the dates Ken, I knew what you meant lol. I don't get dates mixed up, but often call people by the name of someone else I know, then am surprised when they don't answer. I was up on Columbia Road, far Nothwest DC, not anywhere near as fashionable then as it is now. Left in '84. Logan Circle, which is now very chic, was considered a risky area then.

      Delete
  5. I love reading about JL and I'm glad you were able to become her friend. Her house in Carteret is lovely and so French. These coincidences may be more than we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidences like the Carteret one with JL are funny things, aren't they? I could make a fairly long list of the unbelievable coincidences that have surprised me in my life.

      Delete
  6. I am always interested to learn more about how events have unfolded in your life, Ken. I'm sorry to read that JL's health had deteriorated for a while before her passing. Chm, my condolences to you, and to Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this reminiscence Ken, it provided a window into my Mom's professionalism and character that was a good read and carried me back a few decades with a smile. I hope you're well.
    Frederic

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?