09 May 2024

May holidays, and an air-roasted chicken

This year, two public holidays in France have fallen on the 8th and the 9th of May. I don't know how unusual that is. Yesterday was La Fête de la Victoire de 1945, also called Le 8 mai. It's called VE Day in English. It's the celebration of the day in 1945 when Nazi Germany was finally defeated by the Allies.

Today is the religious holiday called L'Ascension in French. It's sometimes called the 40th day of Easter. It's the day when Jesus Christ is believed to have ascended to Heaven after having been crucified and then resurrected from the grave on Earth. Ascension day is 40 days after Easter so it falls on different days the way Easter does.  VE Day is always on May 8.

Tomorrow will be a holiday for Walt and me. We got married on May 10, 2012, in Albany, New York. That was 12 years ago. We had been living together for nearly 30 years at that point. The 9th anniversary of our move to France was coming up. We left the U.S. to come live in France on June 1, 2003, nearly 21 years ago now.

Right now, our weather has finally, and suddenly, turned warm and sunny. I don't know how long it's supposed to last, but I'll take it. We'll have a special lunch tomorrow for our anniversary. Maybe we'll be able to eat out on the front deck, which Walt pressure-washed yesterday to remove the algae and moss that had started growing on it during our rainy autumn, winter, and early spring.




The day before yesterday I roasted a whole chicken in the air fryer (friteuse sans huile) that we bought a couple of months ago. I wanted to see if it would fit in the air fryer. It did, and it was very good. I marinated it  for two hours it in a mixture of lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, dried chives, and dried oregano before cooking it for about an hour. The herbs turned a dark color but didn't taste burned.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember my absolute delight that day in May 12 years ago when you revealed your secret reason for both going to Albany! Happy anniversary tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what excellent meal you make for the celebration.
    That must be a big air fryer, compared to what I have-- I know they come in various shapes and sizes. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were coy about the purpose of our trip to Albany back then. It all went smoothly once we were there.

      Delete
  2. Remembering your wedding makes Lewis and I very happy. There was extra excitement because a marriage like yours and Walt's was finally possible. We also got to spend some time with my brother in Virginia while he was still well and with us. The chicken looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really happy that you and Lewis could be there for our wedding. We didn't know until the last minute that we would be able to be married there. Later, we had the marriage certificate translated into French by a government-certified translator in France, and the marriage was recognized here in France.

      Delete
    2. Chicken looks terrific! So glad you were able to marry in 2012! Congratulations.

      Delete
  3. Mary in Oregon10 May, 2024 01:58

    Congratulations on a world then and if we all play our cards right will continue to delight couples after the November election. Difficult for me to imagine how it was only possible after waiting 30 years. Not because I was unaware of the difficulties, just that we have to live with citizens who cannot live their own lives and want to control other's lives. I am so worried about November, I cannot put it into all the words.
    Your chicken looks so tasty. Just what is the capacity of your oven? I can't be buying one now, but with that beautiful color you get from an air fryer I will be contemplating it in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?