20 March 2024

St-Julien de Brioude : intérieurs

Nothing much to say today. Except that I want to go back to the Auvergne region, where this church stands. The more I read about Auvergne, the more pictures I see, the more I want to go there again. Walt and I went there in 2009 and spent a few days in the part of the region called le Cantal. We went back in 2018 and spent a few days in the areas called l'Allier and le Bourbonnais. And finally we went back in 2019 and spent a few days in and around the big town called Le Puy-en-Velay, which was very impressive. Brioude and its church are about an hour north of Le Puy-en-Velay by car. I'm so glad we stopped there in 2019.


The old province of Auvergne is in a geographical zone called Le Massif Central — the central mountains of France. It's not mountains like the Alps; it's more like the Appalachian mountains in the eastern U.S. It's full of picturesque villages with their churches and other monuments. A lot of good cheeses are produced in Auvergne, and it's wine country as well. I don't know when or if we'll go there again, but anything is possible, I guess. Once I get my eyes done and am rid of cataracts, I might like the Auvergne views even better. It's only 3½ hours by car from Saint-Aignan. It would probably be nice to go there in May or in September.

6 comments:

  1. Ken, that is an amazing church... both inside and out!! The cobbled floor is amazing and the new windows are too... fabulous place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, the church floors are "cobbled" with smooth pebbles taken from the bed of the Allier river.
      Delete

      Delete
  2. The church is a wonder! I hope you get your eyes done easily so you can take a trip. There are sights to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you'll go back!
    Did you ever find out if Jane still owns the gîte she and Peter had been running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Judy. The last time I looked, the gîte didn't appear on any web sites I found for the area where Jane and Peter live. There were links to a B&B chambres d'hôtes they had started running. I haven't had any news for a while. If you get any information, let me know.

      Delete
  4. I have been fascinated by this region and wanting to visit it ever since falling in love with the "Chants d'Auvergne," gorgeous orchestral arrangements for voice by Joseph Canteloube of beautiful folk songs in the ancient Auvergne dialect. There are many recordings of the five series of folk songs, originally performed by Madeleine Grey, but my favorite is by the late Israeli singer Natania Davrath. Find them on You Tube and treat yourself to a delightful listening experience!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?