03 March 2024

Birthdays past (1)

In 2007, Walt and I spent my birthday on the Mont Saint-Michel. We drove up there on the morning of my birthday, we had dinner in a nice restaurant, and we spent the night in a hotel room on the Mont.


The middle picture above shows the view from a window in the hotel room.
We were watching the tide come rolling in.

We were lucky with the weather. The day we arrived, it was mostly sunny and not very cold. We had been to the Mont a couple times in the two or three previous summers. It was too crowded. We had to shuffle along elbow-to-elbow with other tourists. I decided I wanted to go to the Mont in the off-season, and my birthday was the opportunity I seized upon. You can see how beautiful it was. The next morning when we were leaving it was raining a flood. We got soaked just getting back to the car for our departure.

There were no crowds on the steep and narrow streets of the Mont on my birthday. That evening, the restaurant wasn't crowded but it wasn't empty either. It was just right, and the food was excellent. Earlier that afternoon, there was a group of young people out walking on the mudflats around the Mont. One girl (I think) had sunk knee-deep into the mud. It's sand, really. They managed to pull her out.

10 comments:

  1. You were wise to go in the off-season, Ken! We finally got there five years ago, and it was mobbed, but since this place should be at the top of everyone's bucket list, go whenever you can! Our bus broke down on the way back and we spent three hours parked next to a sheep field, but that only gave us an additional memory of a treasurable day!
    Jim F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there twice, both times in August, I would love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember how the cowboy movies of our childhood had quicksand? I guess this sticky mud was like that. I first knew you about the time you turned 55. It's good we climbed up to the top of the Mont when we were young enough! I'm not doing that again lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went with my school group in 1969 and again around 1994 ish with my mom & 2 children under 12 and spent the night. I remember a lovely room with a loft high up on the hill and at dinner down below the waitress dumped the whole plate of lamb into my daughter's lap, then I had to wash all by hand since we only brought what we had on. I loved being there after all the day tourists had gone and we took a late night walk (whew) up to the abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went there on a day trip, by train (and bus, I guess?) with Jane (Fenno-Vaux) and Aimée at some point during the school year, so we didn't have to deal with crowds. Spending the night seems like the best idea, if you can, so I'm sorry we missed that, but glad we went! Betsy and Doug and I kicked around the idea of going there during our June trip that year, but were put off by posts of folks who went there in the warm months, and said that it was swamped with mosquitoes at that time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think today is your birthday, isn’t it? If so, Happy Birthday! If not, consider it an early greeting! (I know it’s not long after mine.)
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's much nicer to visit these wonderful places when they're not thronged with tourists as you say. Even in February places like Prague seem to be packed. I've never been to MSM, even though we were taught about it in fourth grade French class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary in Oregon03 March, 2024 21:04

    On our 1992 circle tour of France we stayed overnight in a lodging just outside of MSM near the main road. It was early June, nice weather, not too hot, but sunny. There were plenty of tourists from all of the buses when we climbed up to the top, but not like Disneyland (California). By the time we left, much later, the tourists had already departed. I still have the empty box of sablés from Madame Poulard! I keep it in my secretary with the glass doors so I can reflect on that adventure whenever my eyes glance in that direction. Visiting this site was a high priority for me from many years of seeing the posters in my French classes. The visit allowed me to finally enjoy it's beauty and serenity.

    Happy Birthday Ken, if today is the day! I am glad you got to enjoy the Mont without all the tourists,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will spill the beans and tell everyone that Ken's birthday is March 5, and it's a big one!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?