30 March 2024

Lapin en gibelotte pour Pâques

For tomorrow's Easter dinner, I'll be cooking rabbit. It's a standard item here in the supermarkets and on the open-air markets. This year, I just bought a couple of rabbit thighs. The hind legs of the rabbit are very meaty and very lean. I'll cook it in a way that's called en gibelotte, which means in a stew made with a white wine sauce,mushrooms, onions, and smoked pork bacon (lardons fumés). I'll be adding some turnips, leeks, carrots and chicken gizzards (gésiers) to the stew, because I like them. I'll take pictures.

If you want to see various versions of rabbit stew on my blog, click this link and then scroll down to see some old blog posts.

We'll also be enjoying some fromage de chèvre as the cheese course with our rabbit lunch. I bought an A.O.C. Sainte-Maure de Touraine log of goat cheese. As you can see I did my shopping at Super U. More tomorrow...

5 comments:

  1. "a stew made with a white wine sauce,mushrooms, onions, and smoked pork bacon (lardons fumés)"
    I'm drooling!
    "I'll be adding some turnips, leeks, carrots and chicken gizzards (gésiers) to the stew"
    I'm drooling even more!!
    That, Ken, sounds absolutely wonderful.... just needs smash'n'cabij to complete.... and a dry cider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll drop in a few brussels sprouts. I happen to have bought some beautiful ones.

      Delete
  2. I've never had the courage to try a gizzard, but the rest sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the package, it says, "élevage en larges enclos"... would that mean, roughly, that this is like " free range" , when it pertains to chickens? or "open air" or in large pens?

    I look forward to seeing your post about preparing and presenting and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thnk it means that these rabbits don't spend their lives in small cages.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?