05 March 2024

Birthdays past (3)

Yes, today is the day. Birthday present... well, that's ambiguous, isn't it. In this case, "present" means "now" not "gift". As for a birthday past, here's one from 2009. March 5, 2009, precisely. I took these pictures. And I turned 60. Those were the good old days, I guess. Today, I turn 75. That's 3 x 25. When I was 25, I was living and working in Paris. Actually, I had turned 25 in Urbana, Illinois. That was in 1974. When I turned 50, I was in California, commuting and working. I was pretty unhappy. Now I'm 75.  And I'm in France. With Walt and Tasha. No complaints


Maybe I can complain just a little bit about the weather. We have a 20 to 30 percent chance of rain this morning. And the we have a 50 to 70 percent chance of rain this afternoon. I probably won't be able to have a long walk with Tasha this afternoon. Unless I want to get wet. The one I took with Callie in 2009 looks pretty nice. In the second photo above, that blue spot is the Cher River seen from the vineyard near our house. That's crazy Callie on the right.

This was my birthday dessert in March 2009. Walt made it. Here's his post about it from March 2009. He'll be making the same thing for my birthday today. It's one of my favorite desserts, a tart made with pears in an almond cream custard. It's called an amandine aux poires. My birthday white beans are cooked, by the way. They spent to night in the slow cooker on low, along with the duck legs and Toulouse sausages. It smells good in here this morning.

Since the afternoon will be rainy, we'll probably have a fire in the woodstove. We still have some firewood left. That's our house and yard in 2009 in the middle, and on the right a picture to show you what our late winter woods looked like back then. They look pretty much the same these days.

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Ken, Joyeux Anniversaire! May you continue to "live the life" you are living in Saint-Aignan for many more years to come!
    Jim F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. It's been great getting to know you better over the past month. All the best to you.

      Delete
  2. 🦛🐦🐑🐑
    🦛🐦🐑🐑
    🦛🐦🦌 Ken
    🦛🐦🐑🐑
    And have a smashing day.... 'tis wonderfully sunny down our way.... using the newfangled wind and solar apparatus to dry the bed linen.... I'll raise a glass to your good health once the sun is over the yardarm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sunny here right now too. The cassoulet is cooling, almost ready to eat. Enjoy your dry bed linens.

      Delete
  3. Have a great day and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Present, Ken! Each one is a gift as is each day. I'm glad you made the photo of the tart so big that we can all enjoy it. 75 seems special- three quarters of a century. When I think about it all, I think I liked my sixties best, these 70s are tough on our bodies lol. Cheers and thanks for the present you give us each day here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Big Brother. I hope your day is especially wonderful. I'm proud to follow you through life. I hope this year is filled with much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, enjoy the day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers to 75! I'll be there in July....body can tell the difference but in my mind I'm much younger. That pear/almond tarte looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many happy returns of the day Ken. My wife, Andrea, and I have followed yours, and Walt’s, blogs for many years - from England & France. You have given us great pleasure, and lots of information about France ! We wish you, both, all the very best. Kind Regards, Glenn and Andrea Sharpe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good comment, Glenn and Andrea. All the best to you.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday to you! The tart is spectacular! You'll enjoy every bite of this year's version. -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Ken, again! Wishing you dry, sunny, warm days ahead.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday kiddo! Looking forward to pics of the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your wonderful meal & delicious birthday dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happiest of Birthday Wishes coming your way, Ken! Please have an extra big bite of that luscious pear extravaganza that Walt has baked for you! I can spell that Cassoulet from here! Delicious! Anxious to read tomorrow to see if you got out with Tasha without having gotten drenched! Many rural schools in our area were on late start times and 90 minutes south of here they changed it to no school at all - undoubtedly for the snow. Wishing you an even brighter year to 76 (my age!) same old, same old! Nothing to look at here! Just keep on plugging - in your case writing, walking and cooking and hoping a little travel in the next 12 months as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain never materialized yesterday afternoon, at least not here in Saint-Aignan. So Tasha and I had a sunny walk in and around the vineyard. I lucked out.

      Delete
    2. Mary in Oregon06 March, 2024 19:20

      So glad Tasha and you got to have a birthday walk with no rain! Lucky for both of you!

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday, Ken, from CA, and many more healthy, happy. and productive years!
    DR

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Ken. I've been neglectful about reading your posts (as with everything on my Feedly feeds), but will try to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Late Happy Birthday wishes for your 75th!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?