06 March 2024

Birthdays past (4)


I don't know if you agree, but to my taste a big pot of lima beans, which are very popular in the Carolinas, is a great birthday dinner. I grew up eating lima beans, butter beans, pinto beans, navy beans, field peas, and black-eyed peas... and other beans. I cooked this birthday pot of giant lima beans overnight in the slow cooker. I added duck legs/thighs and Toulouse pork sausages to the pot, along with bay leaves, a couple of cayenne peppers, allspice berries, black peppercorns, parsley stems, a carrot, an onion, some garlic cloves, and salt. Everything cooked at low temperature for 12 hours.


As you can see, the beans didn't disintegrate into mush. They held their shape. The skins were not tough, and the beans were creamy inside. The sausages were tender too. As for the duck, the meat was falling off the bones. The broth had a nice brown color and good flavor.

We of course have leftovers. That's a good thing, because I just found a recipe for curried lima beans. In France, these limas are called pois du Cap — Capetown peas. But they are beans, not peas like garden peas. There's a French bean called haricots de Soissons that are very similar in look, taste, and texture.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like a fabulous meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated happy birthday to you, Ken! I wasn't able to comment yesterday (on my iPad in the morning).... but, the wishes are none the less hearty! I am so glad you had a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your slow cooker has been useful. Limas are my favorite of all the beans. Your meal was birthday worthy for sure! I bet the curried beans will be tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curried lima beans were very good. We still have leftovers.

      Delete
  4. Mary in Oregon06 March, 2024 19:17

    Being a west coaster, I would not think of beans for a birthday dinner! Walt's choice is the more luxurious and tasty in my history! (maybe because W & I have December birthdays! Qui sait? But, hey! It's your birthday and you get to have your choice! It seems a little like the Cassoulet recipes I've seen from SW France. The aroma in your kitchen must have been enticing. I love beans, just a side note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they are beans you remember from your childhood and when they are hard to find in France, well... they were very good.

      Delete
  5. I love lima beans but I never see them in CA either on the menu or in the stores. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I found beans in a supermarket over at Vouvray sold as dried "California beans." They turned out to be baby lima beans and were delicious. I never found them again. I see that Whole Foods sells "butter beans" a.k.a. baby limas in cans.

      Delete
    2. Thank for that heads up! We have one near us.

      Delete
  6. Another belated best wishes on your 75th birthday. I got there 4 months ago. The French refer to the "third age," but I'm not sure when that begins, having known friends like your CHM who well into their 90s possessed all their marbles. May you enjoy many more healthy, happy years ahead. Norma and I look forward to seeing you not tood far down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see what happens with the scheduling of the cataract surgery before I can plan May activities.

      Delete
  7. Have you heard of Rancho Gordo beans? It's a company headquartered in the Napa Valley and sells it products in many supermarkets (Mollie Stone's, for example). It sells dried giant lima beans.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?