09 March 2024

Distant memories of Paris

It's so easy to take things for granted. When we came to live here in the Loire Valley, I figured I'd go to Paris often, several times a year. And I did do that, from 2003 until 2019. For one thing, when I went home to North Carolina to see family and friends, I'd go spend the night before departure in Paris, to make sure I didn't miss my morning flight the next day. For another, I had a place to stay on summertime trips to Paris, and that was with Charles-Henry. Now I have none of that except memories.
The last time I went to Paris was in October 2019, and that was just for a few hours. I took the pictures I'm posting here. And the last time I went to North Carolina was in... October 2019 as well. I always enjoyed short trips to Paris, where I lived for five or six years, years ago. I'd wander the streets taking pictures and remembering my life there. Wandering through Paris alone eventually lost its charm. Maybe I'll go back one day, but sometimes I wonder.

8 comments:

  1. I think the pandemic really hurt our routine travel planning and now we are older with less stamina. We will hopefully see lots of Paris when the Olympics come this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, I've wondered (ever since chm stopped being able to come to Paris) what has, or will, become of his Paris apartment. Is it rented out, or has it been sitting empty these past few years, or did it/will it move on to other family members?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apartment hasn't been occupied since 2017, as far as I know. I don't know what happens to it now.

      Delete
  3. Considering that it’s only a short train ride away, I hope you do go back to Paris.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people I used to know in Paris either no longer reside there or have passed away. I don't see myself wandering around the city all alone. I like my quiet daily life here in the country with Walt and Tasha too much, I guess.

      Delete
  4. I think the first half of this decade of life (the 70s) is when you either go nuts with travel or you scale back significantly. I'm in the "go nuts" camp right now, but I have to say, I dont want to get sick when I'm away. Especially since I do a lot of solo trips. Paris is just about the only city that I still love to visit alone. Like you, I live in the country. In Paris, I always return to the same hotel, return to the same restaurants, take the same walk in the Luxembourg Gardens, eat lunch at the same cafe. My city escape! Only I have to travel a hell of a lot longer to get there! Two flights, one over the ocean. And still, I go, a couple of times each year, always thinking that this may be my last year of travel...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot that on your blog you have to actively change Anonymous to identify yourself. Sorry, that was me, Nina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why I got lazy and started going with anonymous and putting my name at the end!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?