31 January 2024

Farmers closing in on Paris and Rungis

I'm probably overdoing it with the wintertime sunrise and sunset pictures. That said, here are a few more. These are the kind of outdoor pictures I can take in the winter months because usually it's either too gray and gloomy or too frigid outdoors for photography. I often take sunrise photos out of our kitchen window.


As for the farmers, the news this morning is declaring the standoff with government authorities une impasse — a stalemate. The farmers and their tractors are moving toward Paris, which the government has asked them not to do. They are also making noise about blockading the gigantic food market at Rungis, just south of the city. Rungis is the largest fresh foods market in the world, says French Wikipédia. Almost all the food we consume comes from there. It's still dark here. We'll see what daylight brings. This is all great theater...

2 comments:

  1. Mary in Oregon , thanks for that extra info, France’s allowing milk in from Brazil and New Zealand, where they apparently don’t have to deal with the same regulations that French farmers do… That’s very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The strike was on PBS news last night- I hope the farmers are successful and it's over soon. I guess the imported milk will be the kind in boxes that has a long shelf life, still I don't want my milk to come without good testing.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?