02 January 2024

South or North in Chinon?

My memories of Chinon are that it was a place that felt distinctly méridional. Southern, as in "the South of France." Maybe it's just that I was there in June — at least once. But I was also there in October and other not so summery months. Maybe I was just lucky to be there when the weather was fine. But there was something about the landscapes and the vegetation that looked like southern France as well.

As for that feeling of méridionalitude (I made that word up), the reality is quite the oposite. In his book about wines and the people who make them all around France (The New France, it's called), the British author Andrew Jefford points out that Chinon and nearby Bourgueil are the most northerly vineyards in France, along with those of Burgundy to the east, where fine red wines are produced successfully.


Chinon wines owe their excellence to the grape called Cabernet Franc, even though it is a challenge to bring Cabernet grapes to full ripeness so far north. The Chinon vintners accomplish it by doing successive harvest passes through their vines, to pick, at each moment, only the ripest grapes. It's time-consuming, but the result is deeper, more structured red wines. The same is true of Chinon's white wines, made from Chenin Blanc grapes (as in Vouvray). Using the same harvesting stragegy they can now produce riper, more flavor-saturated dry white wines.




CHM mentioned the other day that the logis royaux (the royal residences) at Chinon have been restored to their former glory since I took these pictures. They are the roofless buildings on the right in my photo on the right. Now they again have roofs on them. I need to go back to Chinon to see the interiors. Maybe this spring...






The old edition of the Cadogan Loire guidebook that I have calls the Tour de l'Horloge at Chinon (photo on the left) "anorexically thin." Another description of it that I've read calls it "pencil thin." Maybe we should call it tall and slender.

5 comments:

  1. Another nerdy blogger comment: I've turned off Comment Moderation for comments on posts that are less than a week old. The Moderation process is just too complicated. I hope you'll still be able to comment easily. Let me know via e-mail if there's a problem, or leave a comment on Walt's blog to alert me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking Google Maps, I see that Saint-Aignan is actually slightly farther north than Chinon, but I guess the difference is insignificant. A lot of very fine red and white wines are produced around here and carry the label AOP Touraine Chenonceaux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Yes, tall and slender souns more appropriate for a guidebook!
    As I recall, the interiors are still pretty bare, but the stone is pretty (if, like me, you enjoy that light-colored stone).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the restoration will make a big change in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was able to find photos online of the restored residences and their interiors. The new roofs make the chateau look more attractive. The interiors are sparsely furnished with exhibits and tapestries.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?