12 January 2024

Chinon from above



Chinon is described in these terms in the Michelin green guidebook I have :

...le vieux Chinon serre ses toits pointus et ses ruelles tortueuses entre les quais de la Vienne et l'escarpement du château. Le quartier a conservé de nombreuses maisons médiévales : façades à pans de bois aux poutres sculptées, pignons de pierre flanqués de tourelles, fenêtres à meneaux, portes ciselées.

I know when I took these photos. It was in October 2000 on my first visit to Chinon ever. I can't remember, and wish I could, whether I took any of them from the top of the Tour de l'Horloge. I know I climbed up to the top of the tower once, but I can't remember when. My last visit to Chinon was in 2018. I think I feel another one coming on.

7 comments:

  1. Let me know when you're revisiting Chinon so I can pack my bags and come along. I've really enjoyed this series of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn, I will come too! Haven’t been there since 2009.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy, we'll look forward to seeing what you see, if you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some interesting words in that post: tortueuses, pans de bois. And "poutres sculptées" I had to google that one and not at all sure if there's an English equivalent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diogenes - I think I looked that one up before: sculpted plaster (before the plaster was alongside the front door on each side! As I recall, there were heads or faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran that French text through Reverso to translate it into English. Here's what I got:

      ...old Chinon squeezes its pointy roofs and winding alleys between the quays of the Vienne and the escarpment of the castle. The district has preserved many medieval houses: half-timbered facades with carved beams, stone gables flanked by turrets, mullioned windows, carved doors.

      I don't know what portes ciselées (carved doors) are, exactly.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that Mary and Ken! Interesting on all these.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?