05 March 2023

Mars 2006 (5)

March 5 is my birthday. This is my 74th. It's hard to believe. When Walt and I moved to Saint-Aignan in 2003, I never imagined that I'd still be here in 2023. At this point, I've lived in Saint-Aignan longer than anywhere else in my life, and in France for at least 25 of my 74 years. Today, to celebrate, I'll be cooking a chicken braised in hard cider and Calvados apple brandy with cooked apples as a side dish. Time to get started. Meanwhile...








Here are a couple of views of the Loire river at Blois. I took them on March 12, 2006, from the terrace behind the cathedral, looking south and west. The sector of the city that is on the left bank of the Loire, at the south end of the bridge, is called Blois-Vienne.


There's a rose garden on a terrace overlooking the old town. The église Saint-Nicolas is visible in the distance. The building behind the cathedral is the hôtel de ville de Blois — city hall.

Here's a view of downtown Blois. Behind the buildings on the left is a pedestrian zone
where there are cafés, shops, restaurants, and other businesses.






The terrace above the rose garden is a good place to spend some time admiring the views of the city and the river. There are swing sets and slides for children to play on. One summer day when I was there a wedding ceremony was being performed up there. I have photos somewhere, but I haven't found them this morning.

On the terrace there's also a statue of Jeanne d'Arc on horseback that was made by the American artist Anna Hyatt Huntington and donated to the city of Blois. Joan spent a few nights at Blois in 1429 before moving on upriver to liberate the city of Orléans from the English.

20 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Ken! Thank you for all your wonderful blog posts over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks to you for your interesting and kind comments.

      Delete
  2. Every best wish to you today for a Happy Birthday, and fo many more to come! Blathnaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope to be here 20 more years.

      Delete
  3. Bon et joyeux anniversaire mon “vieux” et comme on dit dans ton pays natal, je te souhaite de nombreux retours de ce jour. Amitiés.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Charles-Henry, j'essaierai de suivre ton exemple.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Ken; enjoy the chicken and greetings from Downunder ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous was Jan from Perth...

      Delete
    2. The chicken was delicious. Thanks for the wishes.

      Delete
  5. B'day greetings from NC. You are so lucky to have been in France all these years. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Ken! 🎉🎉🎂🎂
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Ken! It seems like yesterday that I was wishing you a happy 55th. That was the double nickel birthday. Now we are only three years apart. Today's photos are all wonderful. Interesting that an American made the statue of Jeanne d'Arc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Ken! We are so fortunate always to have you and Walt sharing these wonderful photos of France, food, and your fine thoughts with us readers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if great minds age alike. I'll turn 75 on All Saints Day. And how is it you had to cook your birthday dinner? I'm looking at you Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Ken! I'm so glad I know you! -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Ken, enjoy your soixante-quatorze! That chicken sounds mighty tasty. Hope all the alcohol doesn;t burn off in cooking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday and best wishes for the upcoming year.
    Linda from Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to everyone — Linda, Diogenes, Chrissoup, Bob, Judy, Kiwi, Evelyn, Gaynor, BettyAnn, Melinda and all — for the nice birthday wishes. I don't really feel any older today than I did yesterday. I guess that's a good think.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?