17 November 2020

Paris 7ème

It was the middle of April and we were walking around in the 7th arrondissment in Paris. It's a neighborhood we had stayed in, in a rental apartment, back in 1996, near the Hôtel des Invalides and not far from the Eiffel Tower. Here are some typical scenes and sights. The 7th is a very upscale part of Paris.



The apartment advertised for sale on the rue Cler was, in U.S. terms, on the fourth floor of a 19th century building. It has two bedrooms, parquet floors, crown moldings, fireplaces, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a separate WC. It's described as being sunny and quiet. The total living space is about 850 ft². The asking price was about $410,000 — the dollar was very strong against the newly introduced euro in April 2002. At today's rate, that €467,000 would cost you about $550,000 U.S.

I just read on a web site that the price of Paris apartments is about €12,000 per square meter of living space these days. At that rate, this same apartment would sell for more than a million U.S. dollars.

14 comments:

  1. The price per square meter depends on the location of the apartment and could vary greatly. The square meter would be 14,270 euros in the 6th arondissement and almost half, 8,452 euros in the 19th arrondissement. These are the highest and the lowest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe an apartment like the one in that ad and on the very desirable rue Cler would cost less than a million euros now.

      Delete
  2. Here's some information about two of the photos I published a couple of days ago. They weren't taken as close to the Hôtel des Invalides as I thought. They are on the Fontaine de Mars on the rue St-Dominique, in front of the eponymous restaurant. A few years ago, CHM, Evelyn, other friends, and I had dinner there. Barack and Michelle Obama had dinner there a few years earlier. Anyway, the sculptor's name was Pierre-Nicolas Beauvallet, about whom there are wikipedia articles in French and in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last two links do not seem to work for me.
      Fontaine de Mars of œufs en meurette fame!

      Delete
    2. Those links work fine on my PC and on my tablet, so I don't understand...

      Delete
    3. If and when I get to Paris again, I will try oafs en meurette. Eating with our friends at the Fontaine de Mars is a good memory!

      Delete
    4. Bonjour CHM, did you get those two links to work? In case you didn't, here they are in plain text form:

      https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontaine_de_Mars

      https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Nicolas_Beauvallet

      Evelyn, I think spell check mangled your comment. But then again, there are probably more than a few oafs in Paris!

      Delete
  3. If I use 11 square feet per square meter, these prices above are comparable to LA (I think) and maybe just below San Francisco. Of course varies by location. And 850 SF is small for a 2 bedroom, even in a major city. That said, it looks like a lovely place.

    I like those orange tulips in the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1700 ft² house in SF that we sold for $800K in 2003 is now valued at two million $$ by Zillow.

      Delete
    2. Two million, wow! You did well to run with the $800k leaving a lot of stress behind in SF.

      Delete
    3. Since the Fed dropped interest rates to pretty much zero, home prices have zoomed upward the last 2 years, because mortgages are 2.75%.

      Delete
    4. House prices are completely crazy in the San Francisco area.

      Delete
  4. More lovely photos :) Those tulips were a real treat!
    I hear that term loi carrez often, on Chasseurs d'Appart and the other Stephane Plaza shows, but I don't know what it means. He explained it once, but I didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, duuuh, I just looked it up to find my answer LOL.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?