03 November 2020

Back to Provence

We're again on lockdown, but it's a little less restrictive than the confinement we lived through in the spring. Schools are open in France, and people who can't work at home can go to work. Dentists are treating patients, and I drove down to Luçay-le-Mâle yesterday morning to have my broken filling repaired. I'm really happy with the result. Dr. Baescu seems very competent and very concerned with his patients' well-being and comfort. Walt will be doing the 30-minute drive to Luçay this morning for his initial visit with the same dentist. Before leaving, he'll fill out the required attestation, as I did, to state the purpose of his outing and show at what time he left home, just in case he gets stopped by a gendarme. We're only allowed out in public for very specific reasons — grocery shopping and medical appointments, for example.

Meanwhile, my mind is still in Provence. One the first things we did on our first day at the gîte at Cavaillon all those years ago was go to the nearby village of Oppède (pop. 1,300). We parked at the base of the village and trudged up a steep hill to see the ruins and the church at the top, which is the oldest part of the place. It's called Oppède-le-Vieux and dates back to Roman times.

We also stopped and had a look around in the village cemetery.

These kinds of plaques and ceramic flowers are typical of cemeteries all over France.


I'm not sure our friend Sue, who was traveling with us, was thrilled to be going to a cemetery, but I found it interesting. Maybe you will too.

9 comments:

  1. We don't often visit cemeteries, so I find your post interesting. Are there bodies under all the plaques in the last photo? I see that Philippe died too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E., I think there are often a lot of plaques for one grave.

      Delete
  2. Glad your tooth is fixed and you like your dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are nice remembrances in the cemetary. I don't think we see things like that here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old cemeteries, especially those in France! Have you seen the resting place of M and Mme Pigeon in Montparnasse Cemetery in Paris? It’s my favorite and I’m sure you can google it.

    Happy your happy with your dentist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BettyAnn, The Lampe Pigeon was very popular before the advent of electricity. I remenber my maternal grandfather using one when we went to the cellar (la cave) to get some Arbois wine.

      Delete
    2. the Montparnasse cemetery is one I've never visited.

      Delete
  5. “you’re”. Darn auto correct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed this post Ken. I've never been to Pere Lachaise. This is a bit of encouragement.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?