28 November 2020

Density

Paris is by far the most densely populated big city in Europe, with more than 20,000 people per square kilometer living there. That's nearly 55,000 people per square mile — more than 2 million people packed into 100 km² (40.5 mi²) of land. Only Manhattan island is more densely populated in the U.S. In comparison, each square mile of San Francisco is lived on by "only" 17 thousand people.



You can see how so many people can fit into Paris when you look at all the apartment buildings around the city. I took most of these photos in the 7th and 15th arrondissements, which is my friend CHM's neighborhood.

8 comments:

  1. Ah! I spied Hôtel Muguet among these wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Ken. I’ve always liked your neighborhood, chm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very high density indeed! The Tour Montparnasse always reminds me of a 1970s pin striped suit. The new renovation will start in 2021 apparently, with Jean Nouvelle as architect, greatly improving the look:

    https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/in-paris/articles/151159-the-montparnasse-tower-postpones-its-closure-for-renovation-works/lang/en

    Our little neighborhood, West Hollywood, is 19,000 people per square mile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the Muguet also! Didn't know Paris was so dense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really thought about population in terms of density. My small town has 3000 people per square mile. I tried to imagine your numbers. I couldn't. It's a very pretty place though.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?