03 September 2024

Ridiculous things

Isn't it ridiculous that I can't leave a comment on my own blog? I say yes! I don't know what Google is doing to make Blogger so rickety and unstable, but they're doing something wrong. Well, at least I can still upload posts. I think... This morning I can't even leave comments anonomously. The comment field is not working at all.

On another subject, I'm having my second cataract operation today. The cataract was removed from the right eye back in June. Now I'm having the cataract removed from my left eye, which is my dominant eye. It does most of the work of giving me fairly clear vision.

The whole process has been fairly chaotic. The first cataract operation did not improve the vision I get when I cover my left eye. The vision in the right eye seems to me to be exactly the same as it was before the operation. I thought my vision using that eye would improve. Our 89-year-old neighbor, who now lives in Blois, was here a couple of weeks ago. I told her I was having the cataract operations this summer. She said she had had them some number of years ago. I asked her if her vision improved as a result. No, she said, adding that she never could tell that the operations made any difference.

My sister, who is a retired optician, told me that she doesn't think doctors should tell patients that the cataract operation will improve their vision spectacularly, as if by some miracle. She pointed out to me that most people who have the cataract surgery still need to wear glasses afterwards. My doctor told me that I would no longer need glasses to do everyday things like drive the car, watch television, and maybe read my computer and tablet screens. Then he said he would give me new prescription for corrective lenses at the end of the process in October.

All I can hope for is no degradation of the clarity of what I see when looking through my left eye, the dominant one. I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll let you know if I can see well enough to do a blog post on my laptop computer, for example. Or I'll ask Walt to do some typing for me (and you).

Last week I called the clinic in Blois where the surgery will be done to ask what time I should get there today. A couple of days later I got a message saying my heure d'entrée was 2:45 p.m. I needed to let the taxi driver who will take me to Blois and bring me back to Saint-Aignan know what time he should come pick me up.

Then late yesterday afternoon I got a call from the clinic to ask me if I could come in at 10:30 a.m. instead. There had been a cancellation. I told the caller that that might be complicated for the taxi driver, with such short notice. I said I'd rather keep the 2:45 appointment. Her attitude changed. She rather curtly told me I had no choice. You don't expect the doctor to stay here until 6 p.m. just to accommodate you, do you? She was obviously exasperated by the whole thing.

er I wasn't sure I could get ahold of the taxi driver to advise him of the schedule change. She asked me for his number, so I gave it to her. She said if she didn't call me back, that would mean my appointment had been changed. An hour or more later, the taxi driver called me and said he would come get me at about 9 this morning. I apologized to him for all the trouble. He didn't say he'd had to scramble to re-arrange things, but he did say that after he picks me up this morning he also needs to go pick up another customer as well before we drive up to Blois. He's allowing 90 minutes for the drive rather than the usual 60. I can only hope he'll be available to drive me back home this afternoon.

The taxi driver has been very easy to work with and very reliable, so I'm sure all will go well. The 50-mile round trip to Blois and back from Saint-Aignan costs about 175 euros ($200 U.S.). It is reimbursed partly by French Social Security health insurance and partly by our private complementary health insurance policy. The doctor doing the operation says I should not plan to do any driving for the rest of the week.

21 comments:

  1. Good luck. Everything will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good. My vision is blurrier now than it was 12 hours ago, so there's room for impovement. I'll try to be patient.

      Delete
  2. Wow! If they gave you that first appointment did the doctor expect to just leave when he/she wanted to go home? I have had both eyes done and don't wear glasses any more - back then they did one eye for close and one for far and I am very happy about it. My husband had the same not long ago and had to fight to get that. Now they say brains can't adjust to that and you have to decide on both eyes being either near or far vision. Our brains are just fine - well some might debate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eye doctor didn't mention the close and long lenses combo as an option.

      Delete
  3. I just had an initial cataract meeting & was told for the first time in my 75 yr life that I have astigmatism so I can ony get one type of lens (was hoping for the fairly new multi focal lens but no) so I will need glasses at least to read as the single focus lens usually does distance..Good luck today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I have astigmatism or not. I'll have to ask the ophthalmologist if he thinks I have it.

      Delete
  4. Bonne chance- it's over by now. I hope you get good results. So glad this will be behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what a relief. When he finished the operation, the ophtalmo said Cá c'est très bien passé.

      Delete
  5. Yes! As Evelyn said, it must be over by now, and you're back home. Now... let the eyedrop regimen begin!
    Hoping the blogger issues straighten out for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blogger has suddenly started leting me comment as me again. Who knows why?

      Delete
  6. Starting tomorrow, I start the regime of 6 eye drops a day spaced out over the course of the day, for two weeks. Then a week of two of two drops a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a successful and speedy recovery. The multi focal lenses are what I have.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about the complications around your second cataract surgery and hope all goes well with round two. I opted for improvement to near vision, and that has worked out great, but I still need glasses for far vision. The ophthalmologist made sure I understood what I was opting for. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob, it all went very well yesterday. The doctor didn't give me an option when it came to near or far vision. I got far vision, so reading glasses may be necessary. This morning I can read the blogger screen just fine wearing my old glasses. I'm happy.

      Delete
  9. "You don't expect the doctor to stay here until 6 p.m. just to accommodate you, do you?" That sounds like American health care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accommodate me — you people gave the the appointment, and then changed it. (I didn't say that to anyone).

      Delete
  10. I had been wondering if I had missed your blog posting of your second cataract surgery (now i know that it was today). I have a few friends who have had the surgery, I guess I will have to ask them if they had one eye for close and the other for distance. Mine will probably happen next year ... or maybe later? Hoping I can learn to do the eye drops (I haven't ever had to do them before). Guess you aren't worried about that since you've had practice after your first surgery. I guess I could ask my neighbor to help me when it's my time. What a strange comment about the change in time from the Dr.'s assistant.
    For the huge cost of that taxi, it is unfortunate you couldn't have opted in for a cash payment to Walt and had him drive you and pick you up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started the post-operative drops this morning. Six drops a day (two different drops; one is an antibiotic) for two weeks and then two drops a day for another week. Then back to the doctor for a final follow-up and maybe a new prescription for glasses.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?