13 September 2024

Driving toward Amboise from Montrichard...

...on a frosty December morning. We had had a few hours of freezing fog overnight and the treetops and other vegetation were sparkling white. I can't remember why we were going to Amboise. The drive was dangerous because of black ice, but off we went. Leaving Montrichard you drive across a big flat plain (farmland), and then you enter and pass through the forêt domaniale d'Amboise — 6,000 hectares (nearly 25 sq. miles) of forest on the southern edge of the town. It's a 30 or 40 minute drive from Saint-Aignan to Amboise via Montrichard.




10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And it feels like winter is coming - only 8 degrees here this morning. How quickly the weather changes this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like winter is arriving, ahead of time. It was about 8 degrees here this morning too. But happily, no wind.

      Delete
  2. A rare and beautiful, I think it is called a hoar-frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also something called rime frost. It's all very technical.

      Delete
  3. I like the "butt off".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typos are the bane of my existence.

      Delete
  4. Aren't you glad that you ventured out for this lovely memory? I have never experienced such a frost. I have experienced black ice though lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember freezing fog in N.C. or Illinois, but it happens every year or two here in northern France. It can be really beautiful.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?