07 November 2023

Wandering around Paris with a camera






Looking north up the Canal Saint-Martin, which runs through the 10e et 11e arrondissements de Paris. It connects the Seine river to the Bassin de la Villette and the Canal de L'Ourcq north of the city.






Notre Dame cathedral's bell towers stand high above the neighborhood's seven-story buildings.






La gare de l'Est is the train station you leave from on the way to Strasbourg and other points east of Paris. Walt was there recently and said he was surprised to see that the station now has a big shopping center inside.






I can't determine exactly where I took this photo. All I know is that it it was near the place de l'Opéra.







Le Brabant is a hotel near the gare de l'Est. It's named for an ancient province that is now part of Belgium and has a population of more than seven million, more than a million of whom are francophones.






Zara is a Spanish chain of stores that sells clothing for children and adults, for men and for women. This store in Paris is on the rue de Rivoli at the base of the Tour Saint-Jacques.

10 comments:

  1. I cheated and used Google image search to find the location of that goddess with the lions. It was familiar to me, but it was driving me crazy that I could not remember which building it was on. It is on a BNP Paribas building, the Hotel Rougemont, 11 rue Bergère, not far from the Grands Boulevards metro. I used to take yoga classes near there before the pandemic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi, thanks for that tip! I went to Google maps Streetview to see... lovely area! Here it is!

      Delete
    2. I remembered the goddess, but of y'all beat me to the punch. I loved walking around that area after work most days.

      Delete
    3. I should have recognized that sculpture. Thanks to all.

      Delete
  2. As always: lovely pictures, Ken! Thanks, and I enjoy your blog every day. By the way, Brabant is also a part of The Netherlands, as well as a part of Belgium. As a born Dutchman I have to add this ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that but neglected to mention it. The Brabant straddles the border between the Netherlands and Belgium. Thanks, Jan.

      Delete
  3. Zara is all over the US now. We have 5 or 6 in Los Angeles. They have pretty cool stuff at good prices. Fast fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think they are near me :-( I have checked their online shop a few times just to see what they think is trending at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are plans at city hall to gentrify the area between Gare du Nord and l'est into one big neighborhood with even more shops and pedestrian friendly streets. The current mayor sure has improved Paris for many

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?