04 November 2023

It wouldn't be Paris...

...without a demonstration (une manifestation) of one kind or another.

  

This one took place on April 4, 2006, when Walt and I were in Paris. We didn't actually get caught up in it, but we were out walking around and came upon it. I had my camera and took photos. The whole thing was good-natured — almost a party. Nice spring weather had arrived, and people were glad to be outdoors. When I was taking a picture, some people smiled for the camera.

If I remember correctly, the reason for the demonstration was a proposed school reform that displeased students, teachers, and people on the left wing in general. The manifestants were successful; the proposal ended up being shelved by the government.

3 comments:

  1. We are having windy weather and rain again today. It's supposed to continue all weekend. I still worry about a tree falling on the fiber optic cable that brings us internet access. If you don't see a post here tomorrow morning, that's likely to be what's happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being caught up in a demonstration in La Rochelle a few years ago. It was not so friendly. I can't remember if we ever found out what it was all about but it turned nasty and we beat a hasty retreat in the opposite direction. Not long afterwards we heard shots being fired. Very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad to hear that the government listened.
    Hoping for continued escape of any storm-related harm, Ken!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?