22 October 2023

The sun shines in

We've been getting some rain. Over the past few days we've measured at least 32 millimeters (1.25 inches) in our rain gauge. We really needed it. And we need still more. However, most recent days have been sunny. The sun is low in the sky, and our living room faces east, so sunlight floods the room and reflects off the tile floor in the morning. It nearly blinds me for a couple of hours while I'm sitting in front of my laptop computer reading, processing photos, or doing research.


It was the same when we were driving around in the Charente département recently. If we were driving toward the east, we were blinded, even with the sun visors down in the car. I couldn't see to read the map (Walt was driving). On top of that, we were having dry weather and my nose and eye allergies were bothering me. Blinded by the light and by tears in my eyes... Today is supposed to be sunny again, but we will probably get more rain tomorrow, according to forecasts. Right now, I prefer rain to sun. We are still experiencing drought conditions. The winter rains usually begin in early November here in the Loire Valley.

8 comments:

  1. Ken, this question might have been answered already so I apologize in advance, but you mentioned that your car has no GPS. Well, ours does, but we never use it, we rely on our google maps app in our cell phone - it is updated constantly and therefore more accurate. Why don't you use it on your trips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a smart phone. Walt has one, but he was driving on our trip. I used to be able to use the Google Maps GPS, but it doesn't seem to work on the tablet I use these days.

      Delete
  2. That is such a lovely room, and the sliding glass windows with the sheer curtains, looks really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot you have an eastern exposure in your living room! I love having that morning sun and then the west sun in the evening at the back of the house where there is shade in the backyard and patio/terrace. That morning sun when due East is definitely blinding on some days, though. Perhaps you could sit at a 90 degree angle to the East? (or maybe even more of an angle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could move, but I'm set in my ways! I'll just hope for cloudy mornings. Right now, the sun doesn't even come up until about 8:30

      Delete
    2. My current house is next to a hill on the east side so I am not able to enjoy the morning sun with my coffee and breakfast. We are sadly losing many minutes each day in the morning. It is totally dark here when I wake up around 4:30 and maybe around 7:30 I can see some light!

      Delete
  4. A ha, I'm able to publish now that I downloaded chrome. I totally understand the problems you had driving in this Fall sunshine right before sunset. I love the shadows it made in your LR!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?