21 October 2023

How the Angoulême trip ended

Our short getaway to Angoulême, in the Charente département (southwestern France), was drawing to a close. We got all packed up starting Thursday evening and finishing Friday morning. The weather was still warm and clear, so the drive home would be pleasant, I thought. I thought we might do some more sight-seeing during the drive. I wanted to see Limoges, having never been there. Limoges is just two hours south of Saint-Aignan. With just 300 kilometers to cover — that's 185 miles — we would have time to look around and still get home well before dark.

Well, that wasn't to be. The gîte owners (who live next door) came over at 9 a.m. to do a cursory inspection of the place before we hit the road. They wanted to make sure everything was there that was there when we arrived, of course. They wanted to see if the TV, kitchen stove, and other appliances were in working order. They also wanted to be sure that we hadn't forgotten anything that was ours. That was a good thing because, as you remember, I had forgotten my camera bag at home when we left to drive to Angoulême and hadn't taken any pictures all week.

We said good-bye and talked about the trip and the gîte with our hosts. Walt was going to drive, and I would do my best as the navigator. He started the Citroën, and there was suddenly an audible screeching noise coming from under the hood. I asked the owner what he thought that was. It was a noise I'd never heard before. He said, well, I know a good bit about cars and car engines. That kind of noise could be coming from the alternator belt, or it could be coming from the clutch. He told Walt to push down on the clutch pedal (it's a stick shift car). The noise got louder. Let the pedal out, he said. The screeching was not as loud. It's the clutch, he said.

Merde, I thought. Here we are with a dog and a trunk full of our belongings, including a cooler filled with food we were taking back home with us. What are we going to do if the clutch goes out completely, stranding us somewhere out in the country. Walt put the car in gear, and that worked. We backed out of the driveway. He shifted gears again to go forward, and that worked. Good news. We waved at the owners and headed out. After the first couple of miles, we came to a stop sign. When Walt pushed in the clutch to put the car in first gear, he let up the clutch, and the car stalled out with a loud clunk. We sat there for a minute and talked about what we were going to do. We have insurance that covers towing charges and a rental car to bail us out in case there's a break-down or an accident.

Here's a picture of the 2007 Citroën C4 that I took a few months ago.

We decided that we should try just to get home and forget about doing any sight-seeing along the way. The closer we were to home if the car really broke down, the better off we would be. We decided to take the high-speed autoroute instead a drive on narrow, winding (and scenic) roads. On the autoroute you have to do very little shifting. You just get the car into fourth gear and drive along in the slow lane at 60 or 70 mph. That's what we did. We drove past the city of Poitiers, where we came to a toll booth. That would be a test, because we'd have to stop the car to get a ticket and then hope we could get moving again. Good news: we did, and we continued the trip.

The second tool booth, where we had to pay the toll, was another stop for us. The clutch was working better and better, it seemed. A third toll booth required another stop as we left Tours going east toward Saint-Aignan. But we were close to home at that point and were feeling better about our prospects. Soon we were at the Saint-Aignan toll booth and we had made it. If we broke down, we'd call our insurance company and somebody would come and tow the car, plus, I assume, give us a ride home, where the Peugeot was parked. We'd be able to drive to our mechanic's shop and transfer our trunk-load of stuff into 206 and the trip would be over.

Well, that's not what happened. The Citroën kept going and we made it all the way home. Between the exit from the autoroute and home, we were in a short line of three or four cars waiting to enter a traffic circle when suddenly there was a loud bang behind us. The car behind us had rear-ended the Citroën (at low speed). There was no damage, fortunately. Now it was about 12:30. We unpacked the car and breathed a sigh of relief because we had arrived home and our house was in good shape, undisturbed by anybody or anything during our absence. Tasha was glad to be back in her own yard. It was time for her lunch, and for ours. I told Walt that I would wait until Monday to call the mechanic. I needed to get something to eat and then relax for a while.

I did call the mechanic on Monday, and he gave me an appointment for Tuesday morning to have the car checked out. Yes, it needs a new clutch, he said. The car is, after all, 16 years old. It looks and drives like a new car, but it's not. It has only about 65,000 miles on the odometer. A clutch shouldn't need replacing until close to or even past 125,000 miles.The Peugeot's clutch needed replacing at 112,000 miles, a few years ago. I think I need to go talk to my insurance agent about it. I'm not ready to get a new (or newer) car. I hate the prospect of having to spend days and days looking for one I like. Maybe I should go ahead and buy a new one, but we drive so little that I don't want to spend that kind of money. Car prices are sky high these days.

If we ever go on another road trip, I'll rent a car. The trip will be less stressful.

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that does sound stressful and I'm so glad you made it all the way home without having to hang around for a breakdown truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky and we were happy to have driven home on the autoroute. The trip took much less time and the tolls didn't break the bank. The Citroën's engine is still good. When the clutch on my Peugeot gave up the ghost, the clutch pedal just fell to the floor and there was no clutch at all. This time, it has kept working but not working well. The crowning blow was when we were rear-ended by a man driving a van just three miles from home.

      Delete
  2. nothing quite as stressful as car issues. Probably cheaper to rent a car for vacation drives of some distance than buying a new/new used one. Prices are incredible now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've rented cars for road trips in the past, usually when we have guests visiting from the U.S. The little Peugeot we have was not big enough for that many people and a dog too. The Citroën is bigger and is comfortable. The main thing that worries me is that the clutch would go out with such low mileage on the vehicle. One of our part-time neighbors, who lives in Paris but inherited a house here in out hamlet, had trouble with her 7 or 8 yo Peugeot a few months ago. She was told by a local dealer that her car needed a new fuel tank. I've never heard of a fuel tank failing before. It cost her 1,500 euros.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my heavens. What a stressful end to your trip. Your car really does look great. I'm so glad for you that you all made it all the way home. A rental car does sound like a good idea for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the timing belt on the Citroën changed a few months ago, just as a precaution. I guess I should have had the clutch replaced too. It is cheaper to keep an older car running than to buy a new car these days. My days of long-distance driving and driving in cities are over, I think.

      Delete
  4. I guess I would compare the repair bill for a new clutch vs rental cost. Seems like the Citroen has been a good car for you and it does have no body damage and very low miles! My car is now 14 years old and for my first Honda I have been very impressed with no major work necessary and excellent gas mileage. The new electric car I would like to buy will wait until I absolutely must get a new car - as you said, new cars are not cheap and I won't save money with an electric as I drive so little nowadays. My replacement would be to help the planet. BTW, driving with a bad clutch IS very stressful. I have done it and each stoplight or stop sign was "frightful" - EEK! So lucky for you to have made it home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new clutch will cost about $700. I've been driving the Citroën for eight years now. It gets very good. We were right, I think to drive home on the autoroute, which required very little gear shifting. Maybe the time has come to buy a car with an automatic transmission. I remember when we were preparing to move to France I asked my mother if she wanted my VW Passat. She was in her mid-70s at the time and she said she would be afraid to try to drive a car with a manual transmission at that point in her life. So I sold the car in California.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great point about manual transmissions. I love them and at 16 knew I wanted to drive a manual transmission car and so I have. Evidently, Ken, we are now very much in the minority. For theft reasons, that is a good place to be. But reselling our vehicles is another thing altogether. Are you considering an electric car? That will be my next vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still driving the trusty BMW we bought second hand Angouleme around 2010! Unbelievable 300K km without too much trouble, short of routine maintenance such as breaks. Austria has an incredible deal for public transport, for a bit more than 1000/yr you can ride any and all public transportation. I doubt I will buy a new car after the BMW gives up.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?