23 October 2023

Paris, December 2002

These are some photos I took on a walk up the Seine on the Right Bank towards the Tuilerie Gardens and the Louvre in December 2002. Walt and I had spent four or five days looking at houses with the idea that we might buy one. As it happened, we had just signed the papers for such a purchase and had agreed informally to send a down payment when we got to California. Things were moving fast. We didn't have a clear plan, but it all worked out. We are still living in that house today.


In 2002, I was taking digital photos with a Kodak DC4800 camera. It was my second digital camera. I'm on my 7th or 8th digital camera now. As usual, you can enlarge these photos by clicking (PC) or tapping (tablet) on them.


We spent a day or two in Paris at the end of that 2002 house-hunting trip. All through the late 1980's and the '90s we spent most of our vacations in France. At first, we stayed in hotels. Then we started renting gîtes ruraux out in the country and in rental apartments inn Paris when we were in the city. We had met each other in Paris in 1981-82. We were both suffering from burn-out in Californa because of stressful jobs, and in my case even more stressful commuting (100 miles a day). By March we had sold our SF house and had most of our possessions packed into a container that would bring them to France. We were on our way. We had to wait for visas from the French government before we could come to France and move into our new house.

6 comments:

  1. The first digital cameras were so bulky. Can't imagine dealing with film now. So glad you found a home in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On of my first cameras had a huge barrel lens and weighed 24 oz. (1.5 lbs). The ones I use nowadays (which are not at all new) weigh about 7 oz. and fit in my shirt or jacket pocket.

      Delete
  2. This time, you can visit Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and learn about parents who are dissatisfied with the treatment their trans children are receiving. You can find it in my blog, www.emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot. Thanks very much. Emily Shorette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je me demande pourquoi cette personne pense que les lecteurs de ton blog pourraient être particulièrement intéressés par le sort des enfants “trans” au Canada.
      According to Wikipedia, Saskatoon is nicknamed the “Paris of the Prairies”. Is that the connection with your blog?

      Delete
    2. Peut-être que cette personne sait que j'ai dans ma famille une nièce ou neveu qui est trans...

      Delete
    3. This is probably some kind of auto comment that got put on a lot of blog by subject. But I'm just guessing here.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?