01 November 2022

Franco-Carolinian "boarbecue"

This is the second installment of my post about cooking a gigot or cuisse or cuissot de sanglier. That's a fresh, raw leg of boar. The French terms in italics in that first sentence are more or less synonyms in this context. Here is a link to the first post.

    
The picture on the left above shows the gigot after it was cooked for 8 or 9 hours at low temperature in a slow cooker. I left it to cool down in the cooking liquid (vinegar, spices, and aromatic vegetables) overnight. Then I took it out of the cooker and put it in a big wok with some of the cooking liquid and some sweet-sour-spicy barbecue sauce. I put it in a slow oven (120ºC, 250ºC) for about an hour, basting it with the barbecue sauce. When it was very tender, I shredded (or "pulled") the meat with two forks and spooned on some more of the liquid and sauce.

    
The meat was not very different from the meat of a farm-raised hog. After "pulling" it I roughly cut the strands of meat into shorter pieces using a pair of kitchen shears. Before we ate it on sandwich buns with some more sauce and some coleslaw, I put some of the shredded, chopped meat in a non-stick frying pan and browned it slightly, again adding some of the sauce. As a side dish to have with the boar meat, I heated up some cooked white beans in a little bit of the cooking liquid left in the slow cooker. I chopped up the vegetables — a carrot, a big shallot, a stalk of celery — that had cooked with the meat and heated those up with the beans.

Here's a recipe for the western North Carolina style barbecue sauce I made to cook and serve the meat with:

Mix together in a sauce pan:

1 cup cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup or tomato paste
¼ cup of your favorite hot sauce (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. coarse black pepper
I Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
¼ cup sugar (or more to taste)

Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat a let the sauce simmer for 15 minutes.

Many variations on this kind of sauce are possible, of course. Here's a link to a selection of French recipes for this kind of slow-cooked meat. It doesn't have to be served in sandwiches, by the way. It's good with French bread, corn bread, or North Carolina hushpuppies.

9 comments:

  1. So, you slow cooked it and then oven cooked it, too? Is that a usual process for you, or did you just feel that it needed more cooking time to be pull-apart tender?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not really. I just wanted it to cook in the oven with some BBQ sauce on it to caramelize a little. Making it pull-apart tender was a factor, but also braising it. We also wanted to be sure it was completely cooked.

      Delete
  2. You can take the boy out of North Carolina, but you can't... I love this crossover project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself really missing N.C., I guess partly because I haven't been there since Oct. 2019. I guess I also thought it was a good idea to cook a new product like wild boar using a tried and true recipe. Also, if the boar meat turned out to be gamy or strong-tasting, spicy barbecue sauce would attenuate the flavor. I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the leg, which is in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. Love the title- "boarbecue!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E and CHM. Walt gets the credit for the play on words.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I agree great title to this post.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?