11 November 2022

Haricots verts en provenance du Maroc

I'm finding really nice haricots verts in one of our local supermarkets these day. The beans come from Morocco and are not expensive (about two dollars a pound). They must be having a good fall season down there. Northern Morocco is more than a thousand miles south of Paris, and 900 miles south of Saint-Aignan.


I like to cook vegetables like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes in a steamer pot before incorporating them into a stew or a casserole (un gratin).


In this case, I steamed a batch of green beans. I had a half dozen small potatoes in the fridge that I had steamed a couple of days earlier. I browned the potatoes in a frying pan and I made a curry sauce using a jar of Ayam brand curry paste and a 20cl container of coconut milk. Then I added the steamed beans and potatoes to the sauce.

Walt cooked a couple of chicken leg-and-thigh pieces (cuisses de poulet) low and slow on the barbecue grill. The curry sauce was good with the chicken and the vegetables.

6 comments:

  1. As always, wow... it looks really tasty :)
    I also steam my vegetables, but never think to steam my potatoes, thinking that they would take too long (I boil them, if I'm going to mash them, or roast or bake them, otherwise). Do you find a difference in taste, in steaming potatoes, rather than boiling them, Ken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the potatoes. There are so many varieties. With boiling, it is easy to overcook them. With steaming, it's easier to control the cooking and get a more consistent result. Some varieties of potatoes tend to get waterlogged or to start to fall apart in boiling water. I'm not sure there's a taste difference, however.

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks good and hearty. Coconut milk always reminds me of Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut milk is good in Thai, Malaysian, and Indian curries. I cook with it a lot.

      Delete
  3. I just discovered your blog while trying to figure out what "un verre" was in a french recipe. This particular dish looks quite good and not too complique. I am a retired Californian who has been living in the Sud since 2009.
    bonnie poppe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bonnie, My first experience of France was 6 months in Aix-en-Provence in 1970. Hope you are happy down there. I was.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?