19 November 2022

Pretty day, lamb, and wild boar pâté

We had a pretty day yesterday. It must have been the strong winds we had had overnight that blew the fog away and let the sun shine down. On my walk in the vineyard with Tasha, I didn't see any damage, despite the howling, whistling wind during the night. A couple of medium-size branches fell out of our linden tree, but that was about it.

    

    

I went and got my hair cut yesterday morning. It had been a while. I enjoyed talking with the young woman who runs the salon de coiffure about local happenings and intrigues. She like to talk and seems to trust me to not spread too much gossip, or not to name her as the source.

Trimmed and better groomed, I drove over to the best butcher's shop in the area, who used be have a small shop in Saint-Aignan, but now has a much larger shop with a parking lot over in Noyers. I bought a slice of wild boar pâté (pâté de sanglier) because it looked good, and I ordered a leg of lamb for our Thanksgiving dinner. We only buy gigot d'agneau once a year, and we cook it on Thanksgiving day. This year, I asked for a boneless, rolled, and tied gigot. It'll probably cost between 60 and 75 euros, maybe a little less, but we'll get several delicious meals out of it. The lambs the butcher sells are raised a couple of hours south of Saint-Aignan in the Limousin region, where the big city is Limoges. The meat is always excellent.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We like to cook and we like to eat. It's not always fancy, but it's usually good.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are nice to see. That lamb is very special! Glad that your hairdresser keeps you informed;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Walt that there was an old joke about the barber who worked so fast that you worried about him cutting your ears off. With our current coiffeuse, we don't worry about her cutting our ears off. She talks them off!

      Delete
  3. I’m sure your lamb will be delicious. Had a busy day yesterday so didn’t see your great croissant sandwich until now, I must make that. Thanks.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I ever ate lamb, I believe, was in Chicago in the early 1970s. Lamb in France is so different from lamb in other countries. Once I had a Sunday dinner with friends in Rouen, who cooked it. I thought it was veal, because it was so white and so not strong-tasting. It was delicious Normandy lamb.

      Delete
  4. You can't beat the deliciousness of a roast lamb dinner.
    When I was a child we had roast shoulder of lamb every Sunday as it was the cheapest meat available and much cheaper than beef or chicken. Chicken was just for Christmas or Bank Holidays. How things have changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often had chicken on Sundays when I was growing up. That's probably because my grandfather kept chickens in his back yard in those days. He passed away in 1969. And in North Carolina we didn't eat lamb. A lot of Americans still don't eat lamb. They are put off by the taste. For Walt and me, it's a real treat.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?