07 November 2022

La Flognarde

La flognarde, sometimes spelled flaugnarde, is a traditional dessert in the Périgord, Limousin, and Auvergne regions of France. It is a kind of custard and fruit pie or pudding made with fruits like apples, pears, or plums. The 2007 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique food and cooking encyclopedia calls this a thick crêpe, and the batter is very similar to crêpe batter. The version I made yesterday was a plum flognarde, containing fruit that I had put up in brandy a few years ago to preserve it (and to flavor the brandy).


A spoonful of brandy went into the custard, which is made with eggs, sugar, flour, and milk. No pie crust is required, because the flour in the flognarde batter makes a sort of crust as the batter cooks. You might recognize this as a type of clafoutis, which was traditionally made with cherries in springtime. That's when the cherries ripen and are harvested. The flognarde is made in fall or winter with fruit that ripens later in the year.

5 comments:

  1. Put in brandy a few years ago??? And there is still some left? Oh my - and it looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the plums in brandy, put the container in the downstairs pantry, and promptly forgot about them. I just realized they were there a few days ago. I think these were plums from a tree I grew from plum pits and planted in the ground maybe a decade ago.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! Has the plum tree survived the drought years?
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I has survived. However, I notice that our neighbor's plum tree, which is older, doesn't seem to be doing well.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?