29 May 2022

Paris after dark - 15

This is a photo I took in April 2006, when Walt and I went and spent a week in Paris for what I hope won't turn out to be the last time. We basically spent the week walking the streets and eating in restaurants. A friend from California was in Paris for part of that time, and we enjoyed meeting up with her for lunches and dinners. There were huge demonstrations going on in the city — students were upset about new programs being introduced by the Minister of Education. It was all so Parisian...


I was standing on the Pont Neuf when I took this photo. I was looking upstream toward la place du Châtelet and its two big theatres. I can also see the Hôtel de Ville (city hall) and the Église Saint-Gervais on the right bank (on the left in this photo). On the right are the buildings that make up the old palais du roi and the Conciergerie on the île de la Cité.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if I walked past you two that week, which was also my final week of a long two month stay there. I remember the student demonstrations near the Luxembourg Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to know. Walt and I were staying in a little apartment over near Arts et Métiers (museum and métro), and we spent a lot of time at the place de la République, les Halles, and in the Marais. We also walked along the rue Mouffetard one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We (your readers!) are fortunate that you love walking around Paris so much... we're treated to the photos that come from your walks :)
    B and D just finished up a two-week tour in Portugal, seeing medieval towns and hearing medieval polyphony music concerts. They stopped back in London for a couple of days before flying home... but, mandatory Covid testing came up positive for Betsy, yesterday! It's a mandatory 5 day isolation to start off with, and then, I think, they can possibly return home if tests come up negative during the following 5 days. They've had to scramble to find a place to stay and re-schedule their flight, and B is actually feeling kind of sick (this is her first time with Covid, but is fully vaccinated and boosted). They're feeling fortunate that this happened in London, and not in Portugal... language barriers, for one big thing!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?