04 May 2022

Reims : Pommery (2)

About half the champagne produced in France is exported to other countries. Still, the two biggest markets for the champagne industry are France and the United Kingdom — though both have been shrinking for years. Other foreign markets, including the U.S., Japan, and Australia, are growing. The Covid pandemic, as you can imagine, caused champagne sales in France and other markets to decline over the past two or three years. [Link to source...]

     Reims is just 160 kilometers (100 miles) from Paris — it can be a day trip.


This is the entrance to the caves (cellars) at the Pommery champagne house.
Pommery merged with the Belgian-owned Vranken wine group a few years ago.

    
Ay is a mystery to me. I have been to the village called Mareuil-sur-Ay, about 15 miles south of Reims, several times.
There's also a village called Fontaine-sur-Ay pronounced [ah-ee] (the H is silent). Normally when a town or
village is sur (on) something, it's on a river or a stream. However, I can't find any trace
of a river or stream in the area bearing the name Ay.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! That's funny about there being no river or stream with the name Ay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are rivers or streams called Ay in the Ardennes, the Ardèche, and the Cotentin, but none in Champagne, unless I'm mistaken.

      Delete
    2. Could it be so old a name that it refers to a geographical feature no longer in existence? Streams and rivers do change course, dry up, over time.

      Delete
  2. I did a small report on the Moulin Rouge for class on Monday. I read that the Moulin Rouge sells the most champagne for one location per day in the whole world!

    That is one fantastic entrance to the Caves at Pommery. I have Reims on my list and now I will add Pommery of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Pommery two or three times in my life and always found it interesting and enjoyable. That's interesting about the Moulin Rouge.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?