27 May 2022

Paris after dark - 13

The show I went to see in November 2015 was a Sunday afternoon matinee. I think the curtain went up at 5:30 and came back down at about 7:15. I took quite a few daytime photos on my hour-long walk from the Quartier Latin, through les Halles, up the rue Montorgueil (where I lived for three years 40 years ago), and then along the grands boulevards to the Théâtre des Variétés.


It was on my walk back to the Quartier Latin after the show that I took nighttime pictures like this one. I had a light dinner in this pizzeria on the boulevard Saint-Germain before climbing up six or seven flights of stairs to my hotel room — there was no elevator. When I made my reservation, I had no idea they were going to put me in a room on such a high floor.

10 comments:

  1. I love those views of restaurants that seem to wrap around the corner of the street.
    We have never had any luck with hotels in Paris, usually having to mend the plumbing before we can use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a hotel room like that in Copenhagen once in the summertime! We had a big suitcase and the heat was awful. Luckily that never happened again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I carried a basically empty suitcase when I flew to N.C. over those first dozen years after we moved to St-Aignan because I would fill it up over there and haul a load of merchandise back to France. in 2015, for some reason, my suitcase was full and really heavy. I didn't think I was going to make it when I went to carry it up all those stairs to my quasi-penthouse accommodations. The weather wasn't hot on Nov. 1, but I remember ithat I had to wait at least 5 minutes for the water in the shower to get warm before I could take a shower on the morning of my departure.

      Delete
  3. Now, you know, we're all going to be curious about what hotel it might have been! (Was that supposed to be a link to a post about the hotel? It just came back to this blog post, when I clicked.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about that link, J. I've fixed it (I think).

      Delete
  4. Well the hotel looks decent in the pictures in your link. But shared bathrooms all-round. I wonder if they have an elevator now? We stayed in this hotel several times: https://www.hotelalbestmichel.com/en/ Big bathrooms, but teeny rooms, like squeeze past the bed. Elevator though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband, daughter and I took a trip to France in 2005 . It was very brave for us to do with no tour guide etc but it turned out fabulous . We stayed in a condo in Annecy and hotel Eber Mars ( which Rick Steves recommended) in Paris. Both the condo and hotel turned great for us on our adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous is Linda from Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a link to the Italian restaurant's menu. It's called La Sirena and is much more than a pizzeria.

    And here's a link to a 2015 post I wrote about the Marignan hotel.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?