26 March 2021

Valençay gardens and views

Here's the first view of the Château de Valençay that you get when you arrive. You pass through the site's gift shop
and step out into the formal French gardens that are on the north side of the Renaissance château.


It's all very ornate and immaculately groomed. It certainly wasn't crowded when I took these pictures
at 5:40 p.m. on September 17, 2005. My mother was visiting and so were some friends from California.
We went to Valençay together. It was my mother's last visit to France.
She said the trip was too tiring at her age (75 back then).
When I think that I am now 72...


I just learned something about Valençay that I never realized before.
The château used to have both east and west wings off the main building.
The west wing is still there, but the east wing was torn down in the 1700s
to open up views out over the valley to the east.


You can see the east wing in the drawing above. And you can see the views in the photo below, which I took through a window in the château complex's west wing. Tours of the interior focus on that 18th century wing.


In describing the Château de Valençay, the Cadogan Loire valley guide says:
"The [castle] keep, really something of a redundant military element left over from medieval architectural design,
was here embellished with Renaissance features. It would almost be worth using binoculars to admire
the wealth of sculptural details in the frieze placed high up around it."

I wish I had been using a longer-zoom camera when I visited.


On the south side of the château there are more gardens and terraces from which you can see views
of the surrounding countryside. The east side is planted in grapes.

15 comments:

  1. When I looked at Valençay in Gool Images, I saw that drawing and assumed the chateau was never completed. I didn't know that whole wing was removed! The same fate stroke an aisle of the chateau de Chaumont! Again, these photos are very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these photos were taken with the vintage 2000 Canon Pro90 IS barrel-lens camera that I donated to the Emmaüs charity shop in Romorantin a few years ago because I never used it any more. Lumix cameras replaced it, and now the Sony RX100 that I use is my go-to camera.

      Delete
  2. As something of a chateau fanatic, these photos make me very happy. Can't wait to be able to travel again to visit places like Valencay in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know that. I hope everybody who can't travel now (which is my case) is enjoying these travelog photos. I'm enjoying them, re-discovering and re-processing photos that are much better technically than I thought they might be, considering how old they are in digital-photography terms.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Happy belated birthday, Evelyn. I wish I were your age and not an invalid! Oh! well.

      Delete
    2. And so am I, Evelyn. I can’t wait to travel again!

      Delete
    3. My mother had specific health issues — mostly debilitating food allergies. We thought we were going to lose her in the mid-1980s, when she was in her mid-50s. My sister and I took her to Duke, where allergists diagnosed her condition. She followed a very strict diet for nearly 25 years and passed away just 2 weeks short of her 88th birthday in 2018.

      Delete
  4. I really should incorporate this château into my Val de Loire unit... with your lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Although I realize that it's actually not in the Val de Loire.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valençay isn't right in the Val de Loire but the château is ln the Loire Valley Renaissance style.

      Delete
  6. Somehow the different styles/eras all work together well. Love the fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this chateau, Ken. Thank you so much for doing a series on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I didn’t say how great your pictures are! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?