17 March 2021

Peintures murales en l'église Notre-Dame d'Antigny

Just a few minutes north of the Château de Boismorand, which I posted about yesterday, is the église Notre-Dame d'Antigny. The village of Antigny has a population of about 550 living on 44 km² (17 mi²) of rolling, wooded territory. Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe is adjacent to the north. The romanesque church in Antigny dates back to the 11th century, with some modifications in the 15th. CHM and I were on the way from Saint-Savin to Poitiers.


Inside the church are a set of 14th- to 16th-century wall paintings that the Michelin Guide describes as being « d'une facture naïve ». They mostly depict scenes of the Passion of Christ. Some of the paintings were re-discovered only in the early 1990s when restoration work was being done.





It was very dark inside the church. I hope these blurry photos do more than just make you cross-eyed. Stand or sit back a a good distance from your screen for a better view.

11 comments:

  1. When I went to Antigny, eighty years ago, I didn't know about the wall paintings and I discovered them with Ken. Since I was staying in Saint-Savin, I was aware of the paintings there. I followed the progress this painter was making in copying the wall paintings for the Musée des Monuments français which used to be in the Palais de Chaillot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're interested in mostly religious sculptures this museum is worth a visit. I did that years ago!

      Delete
    2. chm, I love the Musée des Monuments français! I was there again, during my most recent visit to Paris, and it's still there in the Palais de Chaillot (they were closed for renovations for a while). I wonder, now, if I may have seen these murals there!

      Delete
    3. Judy, if i'm not mistaken, in this Museum you find copies as well as originals saved from destruction or decay. I recall seeing the Saint-Savin murals there, but could not find them in the museum now with Google images.

      Delete
    4. Judy, it seems it was renamed Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine. The copies of Medieval and Renaissance murals and stained-glass windows can be seen upstairs.

      Delete
  2. The paintings are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, I recall the light conditions in that small church and i think your photos are very good considering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The murals are powerful in their simplicity! Nice images, looking forward to more. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?