09 March 2021

Au revoir, Oléron

I think the reason I've spent so much time posting about the île d'Oléron is that it reminds me so much of home. Home for me is the coast of North Carolina. I'm so glad I went home in October 2019 to spend a couple of weeks with family members and friends. To walk on the beaches. To smell the salt air. I don't know when I'll get to go there again. As for Oléron, it would be easy to go spend a week or two there, and maybe Walt, Tasha, and I will someday. Meanwhile, I have memories and photos. Here are few random pictures I took on Oléron when we were there.

I like this one because if you look carefully, on the horizon to the left you can see one of the bridges that links islands including Ré and Oléron to the mainland (you can enlarge it). It's not an old stone bridge like the one in Saint-Aignan or some of the bridges across the Seine in Paris. It's a modern high-rise bridge like the bridges along the North Carolina Coast. And how about those blues? It's hard to tell what's bluer, the sea or the sky. One reflects the other.

I saw this chicken — rooster — in the Marais aux Oiseaux bird sanctuary on Oléron.

It's interesting to see how these French houses are built. No wood framing, just hollow bricks. I suppose they put sheetrock — plaster board — walls up inside nowadays, not just plaster on the bricks as in our house in Saint-Aignan. (Here's a picture of the same house in much more recent times that I found on Google Maps.)

Translation: « Charentais Chowder — One of the region's best dishes. It is to the Charentes what bouillabaisse is to Provence. It's a generous fish soup, for which there are many recipes. Our version includes cod, skate wing, pollock, salmon, squid, and a whole Dublin Bay prawn (Norway lobster). It's a garlicky chowder with potatoes cooked in the broth. »
 
That sounds a lot like the clam chowder people make and eat on the North Carolina coast. No tomato or cream in the broth. Just broth and potatoes and seafood. I have a recipe and I might make the Chaudrée charentaise soon.

This is a peahen. It took me a while to recognize it as such when I started looking at these old photos again a few weeks ago.

Saint John on a stained-glass window in the église Saint-Denys on Oléron.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure where I'm going next with this blog. Maybe it's time to move on from the "pandemic posts" that have been I kind of lifeline for the past year. I found out a few days ago that I now qualify for a Covid-19 vaccination. Walt called the doctor's office yesterday and asked for an appointment to get himself vaccinated. Somebody is supposed to call us back with a date and a time. I need to do the same.

Anyway, the next trip for which we rented a gîte rural was a few days in the Cantal département, in the Auvergne region, in September 2009. Less than a year ago I re-processed and re-posted a lot photos from that trip — you can see them here (about 10 posts). Click the link and then scroll down. That area couldn't be more different from the île d'Oléron. It reminded me very much of the western end of North Carolina — the green mountains and valleys of the Appalachian chain.

22 comments:

  1. Once again, beautiful photos. Buildings here seem to still be predominantly brick and plaster... and much smaller bricks. It took me a moment to "assemble" that peahen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, the bricks are briques creuses, hollow bricks, which means they give some kind of insulation and are much lighter for their size. Spanish bricks might be just regular bricks.

      Delete

  2. chaudière->chaudron->chaudrée
    chaudière->chowder

    Here is what I get when I click on the house link:
    400 - That's an error
    Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request. That’s all we know.

    Now, I'm hungry for moules marinières!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That link works fine on my PCs, Walt's PC, and my Android tablets. It might be because you're in North America that the link doesn't work. I don't know.

      Delete
    2. Link works perfectly here in Texas.

      Delete
    3. Downloaded the Google Maps App and I still get the same Error 400.

      Delete
    4. I opened your post in another browser and the link worked! Again and again, les joyeusetés de l'électronique!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting to see the construction of that house, and then to get to see the final product.
    I will look forward to whatever you have to post about :) I'm also very glad that you and Walt are in line for appointments for the vaccine. My husband and I get our second on this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link worked for me. Such a lovely little beach house and well made! So glad you are going to get the vaccine soon. Lewis and I are done with ours, plus the two week waiting period. It's a nice feeling of protection. Also a belated Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed my visit to ile d’Oleron so much, thank you. And a belated Happy Birthday from me as well. How did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was doing fine on the chaudree sign until I got to the names of some of the fish, lol. The house as completed is attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My computer went right to the house! Had you written down the address or how did you find the photo of the completed house, Ken?
    This is interesting about the chaudrai being similar to the Provençal bouillabaisse. Something to look forward to, along with your "newly-created version" of your daily, Ken! Whatever you want to post, I'm sure the photos and text will be interesting and with a french-english twist! The previous posts didn't feel to me like they were in a "confinement" style.

    BTW, my appointment is tomorrow for my 1st vaccination and I'm hoping it will be Pfiser but I will also take the Moderna. I did have a choice of the 2-dose version or the 1-dose when I signed up. Happy that most of the rest of you have already had yours! Here, it has taken me about 3 weeks to arrive at an appointment. I got a call from a friend who said Albertson's Grocery & Pharmacy has lots of openings so I got online immediately and then contacted several friends. Whatever it takes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfizer and Moderna both require (or at least recommend) two doses, I believe. I hope you don't have any negative reaction to the shot.

      Delete
    2. I found the photo of the finished house by looking at the series of photos it was part of. That gave me an idea of which street to look for it on. I was lucky.

      Delete
  8. Oh, is the head of the chicken under her head? That's my best guess from here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting to see the before and after on the house. And regarding the peahen: Mitchell called it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hen seems to be grooming herself but it is hard to tell what does where.

      Delete
  10. I got my first vaccine shot today, the Pfizer kind. Was braced for all kinds of ouch and soreness, but so far nothing, just a pinprick when the needle went in. Another in three weeks, but even this one gives a huge sense of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the birthday wishes. 72!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My forgetfulness, many good wishes for many more joyous birthdays, Ken!

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?