20 October 2020

Sky views in Provence, plus châteaux dans le Berry

These are some views from the gîte in Cavaillon that I've been posting about for a couple of days. Since I had what was probably a bad cold and fever complicated by allergies caused by dust and pollen blowing in the high Mistral winds, I had some days where I just stayed at the gîte while Walt and Sue went touring around.






Tomorrow I'll finally see the dentist, unless he phones today or tomorrow to postpone the appointment again. I've been very lucky not to have much pain from the broken filling at all. When I talked to the dentist in Luçay-le-Mâle (pop. 1,375), he said the initial appointment would be to take some x-rays and put a temporary filling in the tooth. Then he'll formulate a plan for more treatments. My appointment is at 7:20 p.m. and Luçay is a 35-minute drive from here — each way.

By the way, before the French Revolution, the name of the village was Luçay-le-Mal ("the bad" or "the evil"). During the Revolution it was changed to Luçay-le-Mâle ("the male"), which was deemed less offensive. Luçay (Lucius in Latin) was a Roman who settled in the area 2,000 years ago. His meanness is one explanation for the name of the village. Also, the soil was so poor (mostly clay) le mal might have been a reference to that fact.

The church in Luçay dates back to the 12th century, was set afire during the Hundred Years' War, and was rebuilt in the 14th century. There's a 19th century château, called the château de l'Oublaise (photo, and web site in French) in the village. It was built on the foundations of a much older château, which was demolished so that a newer one could be built (it turns out to be a château that CHM and I happened upon and visited years ago). Until the 14th century, Luçay was a possession of Georges de Palluau, who was the "lord" of Montrésor. The better-known town of Valençay is just 10 kilometers (six miles) east of Luçay.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, we visited the Chateau de l'Oublaise. As soon I saw a picture of it in the link, I recognized it as the Krishna thing. We met somebody there and I told him,nous écumons les châteaux des environs, whatever that meant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a post about it on my blog (June 16, 2008) and I added a link to this post.

      Delete
    2. I just found an aerial photo of the Château de Luçay-le-Mâle, which we looked for but didn't find in June 2008.

      Delete
    3. As I recall, there were so many trees the only thing we could see of the Luçay-le-Mâle's chateau were roofs (rooves?!?).

      Delete
    4. I'm not even sure I saw the rooftops. I was driving.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful skies and light in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t believe this is really true I never believe there is cure to this hsv 2 because all the hospital have told me there is no cure to it, few months ago I saw this man email DR.AZIEGBE on internet from a testimony share by someone who he help with his herbal cure I contact his email and ask for his help also, that is how he inform me about the cure process and this man sent me a herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed for 2 week I can’t believe when I go for test my result come out negative i am so happy to share this to the world there is real cure to herpes you can also contact DR.AZIEGBE through his email now DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM and also WhatsApp him +2349035465208. or my assistant my email: JAMESAVA0001@GMAIL. COM... He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases;
    Diabetes, Lupus, HPV, Gout, Hepatitis A,B, Infertility, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, WART

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?