15 October 2020

A place in the city — Paris

The apartment we rented for our week-long stay in the Marais district (le 4ème arrondissement) in October 2000 wasn't especially big, but it was pretty well equipped. As with most affordable rentals, the furniture was serviceable. I'd say the whole apartment was about 400, maybe 500, square feet. People in Paris live mostly in very small spaces. The important thing for us was not so much size or luxury, but location and price. This apartment was much bigger than most hotel rooms in the same price range ($100 per night), and it had a pretty good kitchen.


When three people with luggage holding three weeks' worth of clothes, plus carry-on bags, and camera bags, there's never enough storage space in these small apartments. You just have to put things where you can. The apartment is a place to sleep, eat breakfast, and maybe eat a light dinner in the evening. The rest of the time you're out on the streets of the city, seeing the sights.


We must have been having warm weather, because I notice that the window in the photos above is wide open.


As I said, the furniture was serviceable and fairly comfortable. The living/dining room had a table for four as well as at least one armchair like the one above and a small sofa as you saw in yesterday's post. There was a TV, which Walt and I enjoy having so that we can see news and weather reports morning and evening. Nowadays, with tablets and smart phones, maybe that's less of a selling point than it was 20 years ago.


The one bedroom, which you can see in one of the photos above, was tiny, in fact. There was just enough room in there for the double bed. The other bed in the apartmen was on a platform that was basically in the living room. It didn't provide much privacy for our friend Sue, but we're old friends and we'd been on many camping trips together in California, so we managed.


I'm not sure why the platform for that bed was built the way it was, but we had a similar built-in platform bed in one of the bedrooms in our San Francisco house. I believe Sue found this one pretty comfortable. There she is sitting on it on the day of our departure — all our bags were packed and ready to go.

P.S. I was supposed to see a dentist about my broken filling yesterday. I had a 7:40 p.m. appointment in a town that's a 35-minute drive from Saint-Aignan. However, at about 3 o'clock the phone rang and the doctor said he needed to cancel my appointment. He gave me a new one for next Wednesday at 7:20 p.m. The dentist said something about President Macron's scheduled appearance on TV at 8 o'clock last night. It wasn't clear to me why my appointment needed to be postponed. Wish me luck. President Macron announced a four-week curfew (from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. has been ordered for the next four weeks, or maybe six. It applies to people in the Paris region and in 8 other cities and large metropolitan areas around the country — about a third of the French population.

18 comments:

  1. Ken, I'm wishing you luck with your appointment and hope you're not in any pain. I could be happy living in a little place like that. Especially in the Marais. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. No bad pain so far, just an annoying tingle. As for the size of the apartment, I lived in many that were much smaller when I was younger.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about yor delayed appointment. Glad you don't have any real pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from the dentist. It's a short walk from the house. I needed a panoramic x-ray done in prep for my upcoming surgery. They require it to eliminate the chance of undetected infection. He also did a quick check of my teeth -- no need for tartar cleaning, no cavities. Good to go for another year. The whole visit only cost the basic €23! Later today, I have to go into Paris for the appointment with the anesthesiologist and the surgeon. Then, it'll be back home and no need to go anywhere for several days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I knew about your upcoming surgery. I hope it all goes well. You're lucky to have a dentist close by. Our dentists keep retiring. First it was Christian Bigot, and then it was Dr. Klotz. And then a well-regarded Saint-Aignan dentist suddenly dropped dead a few days ago. Now the only dentist in Saint-Aignan told me she can't see me before February 2021. And the dentist in Luçay-le-Mâle, about whom I know nothing, can't get it together to keep an appointment. Désert medical is the term for places like Saint-Aignan these days.

      Delete
  4. An interesting post for me. We have had curfew here too and I really don't understand why it can be effective against COVID. Maybe makes it easier for police with a cut off time? Masks and social distancing seem to work best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks and distancing, yes, if you can get people to cooperate. My only idea is that closing bars and restaurants at 9 p.m. keeps people from partying and drinking too much too late into the night. Drink lowers inhibitions and can make people take off the masks and get too touchy-feely, which can spread the virus. Is this the new prohibition?

      Delete
  5. Sorry about that dental problem. My dentist said he's seen a lot of cracked teeth during Covid. I have noticed that I seem to clench my teeth when I sleep, so I'm trying to relax my jaw.
    I enjoyed seeing this apartment in the Marais- the kitchen looks like it was well stocked and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue is not somebody who loves spending a lot of time or money in restaurants, so having the kitchen was great. It was the same in Provence, which will be coming up next.

      Delete
  6. The main reason that Paris apartments are so good is because they’re in Paris, n’est-ce-pas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. I've got a lot to look forward to when the bans are lifted so one can tour France, again!
    You're so right about having a place with a kitchen and also one that is in the heart of the city. It saves so much time and one doesn't have to worry about that last metro (!) which can be a bother when one is engaged with new friends! Thank heavens - that time they offered to drive us close to our motel in the suburbs as lucky for us we had chosen a direction just north of Vincennes where they lived at that time.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Mary. Even if it costs a little more to be in the city rather than outside, it's only for a short time and it's so much more fun and more convenient. And if you factor in taxi and other public transit costs, plus hours wasted, it's an even better deal. Hope you are well. We're doing okay and not suffering much from confinement syndrome. Too bad about our November getaway, though.

      Delete
    2. When not in the city, the time lost in getting there is too precious. Many times I've stayed right downtown (Roma, Firenze, Venezia, Londres) and in the late 60's - Paris! It seems like you could have traveled in November, but just staying put seems like the fastest way for the virus to be dead-ended to me. A friend in my class this morning admitted she was off for a few days for a birthday gathering in southern Washington state. She is a little older than me and even though it will be her family...qui sait?

      Mary in Oregon (I'm fine, too! - Thanks for asking, Ken)

      Delete
  8. I can’t believe this is really true I never believe there is cure to this hsv 2 because all the hospital have told me there is no cure to it, few months ago I saw this man email DR.AZIEGBE on internet from a testimony share by someone who he help with his herbal cure I contact his email and ask for his help also, that is how he inform me about the cure process and this man sent me a herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed for 2 week I can’t believe when I go for test my result come out negative i am so happy to share this to the world there is real cure to herpes you can also contact DR.AZIEGBE through his email now DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM and also WhatsApp him +2349035465208. or my assistant my email: JAMESAVA0001@GMAIL. COM... He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases;
    Diabetes, Lupus, HPV, Gout, Hepatitis A,B, Infertility, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, WART

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?