22 October 2020

D-Day...

...dentist-day, in other words. I drove down to the little town of Luçay-le-Mâle yesterday for my 7:20 p.m. appointment with a Romanian dentist who set up his practice there two years ago. It was a very positive experience. I arrived early and walked around the center of town taking a few pictures — the weather was warm and clear. The town's medical center is located right behind the mairie (town hall), which occupies a building that was built as a hospital a century ago. Photo below.


How do I come to know that historical detail? Because as I was taking pictures, a man drove up and parked his car in front of the town hall. He got out and came over to talk to me. "I see you're interested in our public buildings," he said. I told him that I'm an American living in France and I do a blog on the internet where I post a lot of photographs. He proceeded to tell me some of the history of the town. I said to him: Vous êtes Monsieur le Maire, peut-être... "Would you happen to be the mayor?" Oui, he answered, with a smile on his face. I thanked him for the information about the mairie and the town.


A few photos later I walked over to the dentist's office. You can see it in the photo above, over and behind my little light blue Peugeot's hood. It's the modern building on the left. There was one other person in the waiting room, and I thought to myself that I might be there for a long time if the dentist had to see another patient before he could get to me. All I could do was wait and hope for the best. When the dentist came out to get me for my appointment, it was only 7:30. Not bad. I was out of there, satisfied with his diagnosis and treatment, by 8:00.


It turns out that Dr. Baescu, who told me he's 40 years old, set up practice in Luçay in 2018 and moved there with his wife, who is also from Romania. As we got acquainted, he asked me if I might be British. No, I said — American. He seemed surprised, but he smiled and asked me if I'd prefer to speak English or French. I told him either was fine with me, and he said he speaks fluent English so I answered him in English. His mother lives in New York, he said, and he's spent a lot of time there. In fact, he wanted to move to the U.S. and practice dentistry there, but the U.S. doesn't recognize his Romanian medical degree. France does. His English and his French seem to me to be equally fluent.


Above is a map of the area where Luçay is located, which is centered on the well-known town of Valençay (a famous château). You can see Saint-Aignan at the top of the map. The 35-minute drive from home to Luçay was very easy, even in the dark. As for the tooth that's been giving me trouble, the dentist said he thinks I won't need a crown, just a new filling. He x-rayed the tooth, put in a temporary filling, and explained in both French and English what his prognosis was. Then he gave me an appointment for 9:00 a.m. on November 2 to complete the treatment. The charge for the consultation was 23 euros, and more than half of that will be reimbursed by the national health service. I am very relieved to have again found somebody who seems to be a very good dentist.

19 comments:

  1. Glad you found a good dentist, c'est une denrée rare.
    He probably was happy to speak English with you, since he might not have too many opportunities to do so. The British variety, that is, because there are probably fewer Americans settling in France these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connais-tu le Domaine de la Garenne à Valençay? C'est un rendez-vous de chasse du château. Architecture très curieuse de1807.

      Delete
    2. Oui, je le connais, et j'ai des photos quelque part. Je viens de faire une recherche sur le blog mais je n'ai rien trouvé. Je suis allé à Valençay des dizaines de fois.

      Delete
  2. I wish he did practice medicine in the US (in my town)! I need a new dentist who won't retire before I do. They all seem to be as old as me!

    My mother studied Romance Languages at the Univ of Michigan before WWII. She spoke French, Italian and Romanian. As a child I was astonished that Romanians didn't speak a Slavic language! It's still always a surprise when I see it in writing. Thanks for the vignette on this aspect of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Baescu is trilingual, with Romanian, French, and English. Also, he said he studied Italian for 8 years. He's obviously well educated. He new all the terminology around dentistry in English and French.

      Delete
  3. I am in awe of your dentist, and so pleased for you to have had this very positive experience regarding the tooth. I'm sure it must be reassuring to you and Walt to know that you've found a very good dentist to replace the one you had been seeing.
    And... Monsieur le Maire! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From meeting the mayor, learning about the town, getting good photos and having a very positive dental experience, I’d say your day was a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thanks to your recommendation, Danielle and I visited the chateau at Valencay during our Loire valley trip. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun adventure - even if it involves a dentist! That mayor must have been a little excited to meet an American that was such a good french speaker AND so interested in his town!
    $23 only including your first visit! Absolutely amazing. To get an appointment at 7 pm is not exactly anything I've heard of here, either.

    I managed to speak to my daughter after class today, just briefly: The school in Avignon was "The Institute for American Universities". It had relocated to Aix but when I just looked it up they do still have some activities in the same old church in Avignon. I read it was the first university in France to offer exchanges for Americans founded I believe I read in 1967.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I remember the Institute for American Universities from the time I spent 6 months in Aix in 1970... 50 years ago. The family I stayed with also rented a room to an American from Texas who was on the IAU program.

      Delete
    2. I can't remember...did you go or teach at the IAU, Ken?--Mary

      Delete
    3. I was an undergrad student when I spent 6 months in Aix. I turned 21 while I was there. I wasn't in the IAU program, but in a different one. It was run by Vanderbilt U.

      Delete
    4. Did all of your credits count?
      Mary

      Delete
    5. Yes. My university, Duke in N.C., had an agreement with Vanderbilt U. so that we knew that all our credits would count when we signed up.

      Delete
  7. How nice to have had such a pleasant evening--and at the dentist, at that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good dentist is above rubies.
    It's so silly that the US refuses to recognize qualified medical people from other countries; we lose out on a lot that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In California we knew an Australian woman who was a nurse trained Down Under. Her credential was not recognized in the U.S. either.

      Delete
  9. I can’t believe this is really true I never believe there is cure to this hsv 2 because all the hospital have told me there is no cure to it, few months ago I saw this man email DR.AZIEGBE on internet from a testimony share by someone who he help with his herbal cure I contact his email and ask for his help also, that is how he inform me about the cure process and this man sent me a herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed for 2 week I can’t believe when I go for test my result come out negative i am so happy to share this to the world there is real cure to herpes you can also contact DR.AZIEGBE through his email now DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM and also WhatsApp him +2349035465208. or my assistant my email: JAMESAVA0001@GMAIL. COM... He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases;
    Diabetes, Lupus, HPV, Gout, Hepatitis A,B, Infertility, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, WART

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?