27 October 2020

Overwhelmed

That's my feeling about many things right now. By photos — I'm trying to decide how to post some more of the photos I took in Provence so many years ago (2001 — I actually took these on Sept. 11). There are just too many of them, and I'm not doing a good job of finding themes to organize them around. I'll just say about these that I took these five in the hilltop village called Ménerbes (pop. 990) in the Luberon valley. Ménerbes is one of the Plus Beaux Villages de France. Maybe you've been there. I'd love to go back one day. Look at those deep blue Provence skies.






We are trying to process and preserve an over-abundance of pumpkins. I have found a lot of interesting pumpkin recipes and we'll just try to make some of them and eat as much pumpkin as possible over the next few weeks. That's a little overwhelming too.

And the pandemic is also. France is not doing well. They are saying that 46 million French people, out of a total population of 68 million, are living in "red zones" where the virus is spreading fast. The number of new cases is going up daily. The nearby cities of Tours and Orléans are in red zones, but we inSaint-Aignan are not, for the time being. Even so, we have to be careful all the time. I'm glad we decided a few weeks ago to cancel our November trip down to the Limoges area. I wanted to go see some big towns down there, among them Périgueux and Angoulême, but it's just too risky.

One more moan: the rain won't go away. We went suddenly from a severe summer drought into an early rainy season. Sigh.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes, too much is too much! Like everything else, that will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul's uncle and aunty lived just down the hill in Ménerbes in the 60s. He spent a summer helping his uncle clear the land.
    We spent a day in Ménerbes a few years ago, at the beginning of November. It was empty, really desolate. We were lucky to find a restaurant for lunch. There seems to be no commerce left in the town once the tourist season is over. The market ends, there's no doctor, no pharmacy,no food shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persistent rain makes everything else feel worse, doesn't it? And, Pandemic hanging over our heads.... Thank heavens you and Walt have each other, and Tasha and Bert, to hunker down with. Imagine that folks who are alone in their homes -- yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Judy! I am a very out-going person and my cat just barely returns my comments with a response! But, I'm not complaining...he is great company and last night I was especially thinking how difficult this would be without him.

      Mary in Oregon

      Delete
  4. What Judith said plus thanks for the beautiful photos. Good luck with the pumpkin food. People around here decorate with pumpkins on their steps and portals and not just one pumpkin- so many and just for decoration. When this is over we will appreciate our old normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding to Evelyn’s comment, you and Walt could carve two of them and put them on your terrace table with candles inside. Beautiful pictures of the village.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy to understand the feeling of being overwhelmed, what with the seeming never ending pandemic and all. I've been back in the U.S. a month now, it seems like a foreign land and I yearn for the peace and quiet of the small German village I spent the last year in. I can still say that your blog is still a source of daily comfort. Thank you for the virtual tours of France, at least through this medium I've been able to visit the places that I couldn't while in Europe.

    craig in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where in Germany, Craig? I spent 4 years near Bad Nauheim about 25km north of Frankfurt.
    Yes, it is wonderful to have Ken's beautiful photos with those "Provence clear blue skies" to enjoy today, right?
    I have to keep reminding a local phone friend when he can't understand how I can be positive when our situations are so bad -"...please realize that it doesn't do us any good to worry about things we cannot control." Focus on a topic or project that is totally different and try to compartmentalize those things that one has to just accept. Our responsibilities with this virus aren't impossible - just WEAR THE MASK - please - and protect others. How difficult is that??? I don't understand this "fatigue-thing". Our planet could go on if people respected how the virus spreads and just stopped the fraternizing. That virus needs hosts and it will die if there aren't any. Come on... people. Life is too short. We need to be here to continue seeing and reading about all of Ken and Walt's Travels. Not to forget all those delicious-looking meals!!! THANKS KEN. You are one of my saviors!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary, we were in a little town called Dalum, in far northwestern Germany.

      -craig-

      Delete
  8. Amen! Very much agree with Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mary and Elgee, for your encouraging comments. I know I've been very lucky to do the traveling I've done, camera in hand, for the past 20 years, and to have seen the places I've seen. Publishing or re-publishing all these photos reminds me of beautiful times, but also makes me a little sad when I think I may not travel so much in the future. In French, they say: On ne peut pas être et avoir été... You can't be who you are and still be who you were... something like that. I was lucky to spend time in Paris and in Provence the first time I came to France 50 years ago, at the age of 20.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken!!! You are ALREADY in France! We, Americans, can't even go to Canada - let alone France! All because of our virus caseloads and deaths. YOU WILL GET THERE - me - I will get there eventually...

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?