23 October 2018

Riz rouge de Camargue

A few days ago I made fried rice using riz rouge de Camargue — red rice from the Camargue region of southern France. It's a whole-grain rice that doesn't get mushy when you cook it, but retains some crispness. It comes in red or in brown, but it's not like "regular" brown rice. It's got more texture — it cooks up al dente.


Flavoring ingredients in the fried rice were cabbage and carrots cut into strips, onions, garlic, and basil in a garlicky hot pepper sauce. Also soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.


With the fried rice, we had some chicken wings with Japanese yakitori sauce. I dredged the wings in rice flour, baked them on parchment paper in the oven for 30+ minutes, and then dipped them in sauce that had been heated up.

I see that you can buy red Camargue rice on Amazon.com for $4.00/lb. Here's the link. That's a little expensive, but it has to be imported and it might be worth trying. Here's a post about Camargue rice from 2017.

13 comments:

  1. The first time I cooked the red rice, I gave it as long as brown and it came out “al dentist”!!
    I now give it another 15minutes.....
    But it is as you say crisper when done properly....
    We use it about four times a year.... and it’s attractive on the plate.... looks lovely here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you soak the rice for a while before you cook it? That reduces the cooking time. I don't even know how long I cook it. Just until it's done.

      Delete
    2. No, just steam 300gms in 450ml of Dihydrogen Oxide in our steamer...
      normal Carmague white, dehusked rice... 35>40mins....
      red rice from Carmargue... 50mins and it is lovely.
      Bought a nice three rice mix... red, white and black[wild] rices....
      have had to soak that, else the wild doesn't cook at all!
      But it isn't a good mix, because the white is always overdone...
      We get our red from SuperU or Terre-y-Fruits.

      Delete
  2. When, on my tablet, I click on the second link a Blogger window opens with this:

    Your current account (xxx.xxx@gmail.com) does not have access to view this page.
    Click here to logout and change accounts.

    Any idea what's happening and what it means? No problem with the first link. Sometimes Blogger is really strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google, including Blogger, seems to be having big trouble today. I notice that Google Maps has changed its look again, and it's an improvement. Don't know what is going on with Blogger, but I'm also having trouble with Gmail.

      Delete
    2. Oops, the broken link was my fault. I have now fixed it.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for fixing it. I just wrote Canargue rice in the Blogger question at the top left and it opened that post.

      Delete
    4. I had accidentally linked to my blog editing page, which of course is password-protected. So you couldn't open it unless you were were logged in as me.

      Delete
  3. I buy a rice blend that includes some red rice. I wonder if it' from the Camargue? I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $4.00 a pound but also $8.35 shipping....I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you. I didn't look at shipping charges. If you have Prime and it applies to the rice, it might be worth it. I can't even remember how much I paid for red Camargue rice here, but it's something I buy up in Blois when I go shopping there.

      Delete
    2. I do have prime but this rice is not eligible. I also looked at the black Camargue and was confused by their calling it "Canadian wild rice".

      Delete
  5. Perhaps I understand now. Wikipedia says red wild rice (which is not rice at all) grew in Camargue and after they began growing white rice there in the '60s, the white rice and the red wild rice cross pollinated and produced this new crossbreed.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?