18 October 2018

In the neighbors’ yard

Our neighbors across the street, whose main residence is in Blois, have sold their car. They've quit driving, I mean, and it's not clear when they'll come back to their house in the country or how often they'll come back in the future. Here are some photos I've taken recently of plants in their yard.













I'm not sure what this is. Is it a crepe myrtle? It seems happy planted up again the west wall of the neighbors' house. It's in full fall color right now, as you can see.


I know what these are called: they're medlars in English and nèfles in French. I've never tasted them but I may well do so this fall. They're not good to eat until they've been touched by frost. Then they are "bletted" and can be eaten raw or cooked. Unless the neighbors or their children come pick them, I'll ask for permission to take some after our first frosts occur.



These red flowers are called mandevilla or dipledenia. They are tropical or sub-tropical in origin, and frost will kill them. The neighbors left 6 or 8 pots of them on their terrace and around the yard. Unless somebody comes to take them away, I'll ask permission to put one or two of them in our greenhouse for the winter. Evidently, you can root cuttings and propagate new plants that way.


9 comments:

  1. From this site, it seems Mandevilla and Dipladenia are the same plant, but differ from the size of their flowers and the shape of their leaves, but also as one is more of a vine and the other is more of a shrub. Is that why they have different names? They should do well in your greenhouse.

    Just like me, indoors, the plant must be installed in a bright area, protected from drafts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amused when told that the french call the Medlar "Cul de Chien" for reasons that are apparent when the fruit is viewed from a certain angle. I suspect that this may be a story that is not true, can you confirm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name cul de chien seems to be regional. I have to say I've never heard it around here.

      Delete
    2. Neither have I ever heard that K9 expression. My father liked nèfles and I think I tried it once, but didn't especially liked it!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a crepe myrtle to me. I've never seen one turn quite so gloriously red. though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Be sure to let us know what you think of the medlars.

      Delete
  4. I think I'm pretty good at identifying plants, but you stumped me on the first two. In north Texas, crepe myrtle is everywhere, and while it can get cold there, I've never seen one turn that red, as Sheila points out above. They usually turn brown and drop their leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those medlars are odd looking. Let us know how they taste. Your greenhouse is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was about to say that it doesn't look like crepe myrtle to me, but whaddo I know. I thought it looked like a giant salvia.
    Medlars? Wondering what they taste like, although Google says they're sweet and sour simulaneously. And if they're family Rosaceae, are they rose hips?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?