29 August 2024

The Château de La Bourdaisière

About a 20-minute drive west of Chenonceaux, on the road that leads to Tours is the Château de la Bourdaisière, which, despite its Renaissance look, was built in the 19th century. It replaced a medieval fortress that had been torn down in the 18th. It's operated as a luxury hotel. Some guys Walt knew from our California days stayed there back when we had just arrived in Saint-Aignan. A bat flew into one of the windows in their room, and they had to scramble to get it out. I'm sure they've never forgotten that adventure.

La Bourdaisière is also known for its festival de la tomate, which will happen on September 7th and 8th this year. They grow près de 800 variétés de tomates de toutes les couleurs et de toutes les formes, according to the Wikipédia article about the château.


6 comments:

  1. Will you ge going to the Festival de la Tomate? Sounds like my kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having cataract surgery on my second eye on Tues., 9/3, so I'll be in recovery mode. I probably won't be going to the tomato festival, though I would like to.

      Delete
  2. 800 varieties, wow!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pleased and surprised that the Gite we rented near Nimes, had screens on the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had bat invasions on several occasions over the past 20 years. Good for you for the window screens you had.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, bats! I bet the tomato festival is fun.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?