12 September 2023

Saint-Germain-des-Prés : son église et ses cafés

The Saint-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood is only a 10-minute walk from the Pont des Arts. The name means Saint Germain of the meadows. When the church was built, the area was still rural. The city hadn't yet grown enough to incorporate it. These days, the neighborhood is known for its cafés and restaurants.


Meanwhile, yesterday we had five stères of firewood delivered. A stere (British) is a cubic meter, and what we call a cord of wood in North America (U.S. and Canada) is about 3.6 steres. Five steres is 1.4 cords.

The delivery man arrived driving a dumptruck and just dumped the wood on the driveway out front. We have to stack it all and get it covered one way or another to keep it dry. We might not start stacking it today because it's raining outside. It's supposed to rain even more over the next few days. So we'll see. Luckily, Walt covered the pile of logs with a tarp yesterday.

Preparing for the delivery, I took the Citroën out of the garage yesterday morning. I didn't want it to be blocked in by the pile of logs. Unfortnately, I misjudged the car's width and ended up breaking off its driver's side rearview mirror. So I have to get that repaired before we go on our roadtrip to Angoulême next month. The entrance to the garage is pretty narrow — too narrow, I guess, for the Citroën, which we've had since 2015. I've never torn off a mirror before, and hope never to do so again.

7 comments:

  1. The St.-Germain-des-Prés abbey church is the oldest romanesque church in Paris, predating Notre-Dame by some fifty years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A church of that name (Saint-Germain) has been on the same site since the mid-6th century." That's what I've read.

      Delete
  2. It's difficult for me to picture this area as ever being rural. Sorry about the mirror but that garage is quite narrow, Things like that happen to me when I get in a rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The little pale blue Peugeot is easy to put in and take out of the garage. The Citroën is bigger. I was in too much of a hurry.

      Delete
  3. The mirror thing must happen to a lot of people. I guess that's why the new cars have mirrors that fold flat. Nice pics of an area I always seem to end up in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drat the luck, Ken. Same thing happened to me some years ago as I was backing out of our garage. Fortunately, our mechanic found a side mirror of a similar vintage and model to replace the one I broke off. I've been backing out of the garage for over 35 years (about 25 years or so at the time) so it was pretty embarrassing. BTW, the mechanic said he sees that kind of damage all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Bob. I ordered a new side mirror yesterday and will have my mechanic install it when it comes. He told me the job will take about half an hour.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?