22 September 2023

Le Panthéon et son quartier

In the photos just below you see the dome of the Panthéon and the colonnade that is the "balcony" of the building. It's from there that I took a lot of the photos I've been posting recently. The second and third photos below show the street called la rue Soufflot where I worked in 1974-75, as the assistant director of the University of Illinois year abroad program. I had just earned my masters degree in French at the U of I, as it's called.


I was also taking French linguistics classes at the Sorbonne and working part-time as a consultant to a group of Sorbonne professors who taught American English and American history. I was in my mid-20s at the time. In 1975-76, I taught American English and American history at the Sorbonne Nouvelle, a unit of the University of Paris, replacing a professor who was on sabbatical. I also taught English at the École Nationale d'Administration (the French civil service college) and at other schools around the Latin Quarter and St-Germain-des-Prés. It was exciting but exhausting free-lance work, and I decided to return to the University of Illinois in 1976 and enter the PhD program.

6 comments:

  1. It's easy for me to remember this view;-) I'm enjoying hearing about your career in France and PhD preparations.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m enjoying this too, Evelyn!

      Delete
    2. Let me quickly add that I never got my PhD. I'll write more about why over the next few days. The fact is, I didn't want to be a French teacher in the U.S. All I wanted was to live in France.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine how that would be exhausting, spreading yourself around to teach at more than one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I would have a nine o'clock class in one place, and then an 11 o'clock class in another. And on and on, through the afternoon. I did a lot of walking around Paris, because it was usually faster to walk than to take the métro or a bus to the next workplace. It was one of those situations that didn't let you refuse work when it became available because you didn't know when the next job would turn up. I made a pretty good living during that time, but it wasn't a life I could continue living.

      Delete
  3. With that work history it is no wonder that you know Paris so well, Ken! Thanks for attaching the video of the current stage of the restauration of the Notre-Dame. I had to look up some of the new vocabulary which I always enjoy learning. Two of my classmates leave for France in a couple of weeks and I will remind them they might want to check up on the renovations while they are there.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?