23 September 2023

Panthéon pictures


The picture on the left above shows part of the façade of the Panthéon. The picture on the right shows the view down the rue Soufflot from the "balcony" of the Panthéon. That's the palais du Luxembourg and its famous garden at the end of the rue Soufflot, where it intersects the boulevard St-Michel and, of course, the Eiffel Tower in the distance. This was a great neighborhood to be working in back in the 1970s, when I was first living in Paris.


This is the front entrance to the Pantheon, with all those columns. The people in the picture give you a idea of the scale of the place. The photo on the right shows the cupola inside the building, under the Panthéon's huge dome.

This is the Panthéon seen from in front of the église St-Étienne-du-Mont. It's massive.


Finally, on the left just above is the famous "balcony" that I've mentioned several times over the past few days. That's the observation deck, which is also surrounded by a huge colonnade.You can see it under the dome in the photo above these. It's where I was taking pictures from. On the right is another interior view — more massive columns.

5 comments:

  1. I had been to Paris many many times before I visited the Pantheon the first time. That was when Linda came along and we stayed in that inexpensive hotel nearby. So much has changed since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was in 2009. You had a nice room with a great view in that hotel, I remember. Then we were off to the Cantal. Maybe I should post some photos from that trip.

      Delete
  2. I love visiting the Pantheon! Great pictures.
    Off topic: how is Morehead City faring in Tropical Storm Ophelia? Downtown New Bern is flooded.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read messages from my sister and our cousin saying they had no significant wind damage or flooding. Downtown New Bern is on very low land I think. In Morehead, they call a storm like Ophelia "a mullet blow..." A lot of rain, some gusty winds, but little or no damage.

      Delete
  3. We really enjoyed our visit to the Pantheon in our 2017 trip... it had been ages (since 1981, probably).

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?