18 September 2023

La basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre

Sacré-Cœur stands at the top of the butte Montmartre. It's about three miles north of the Panthéon. I took this photo from the "balcony" of the Panthéon, which stands on the hill called La Montagne Sainte-Geneviève. The top of the hill is 58 meters (nearly 200 ft.) above sea level. The top of the butte Montmartre is 130 meters (425 ft.) above sea level. Both of these buildings top out at 83 meters (272 ft.), according to the Wikipédia articles about them.


The Panthéon was built in the 18th century. Sacré-Cœur was built starting in the 1870s and was officially finished in 1923. A lot of Parisians thought it was a monstrosity — they thought and think the same thing about the Eiffel Tower and the Pompidou Center (Beaubourg). About eleven million people visit the Sacré-Cœur basilica every year. Only one other religious edifice attracts more visitors. It's of course Notre-Dame cathedral — but not nowadays because Notre-Dame has been closed to visitors for four years, following the devastating fire there in 2019.

7 comments:

  1. I think I've maybe only once been in Sacré Coeur. I almost never went to Montmartre when I lived in Paris that year, and then it also wasn't a destination during most other Paris trips. But, I finally did go, and thought, "Geeeeze, why didn't I come her more often?" Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been inside.

      Delete
    2. Coming from Roissy, I always enjoy looking for the tower of the basilica-cathedral of St-Denis. The Sacred-Heart is a pastiche of the Cathedral in Périgueux.

      Delete
    3. Aren't all these churches pastiches of some other church? Otherwise, why would so many of them look like so many others?

      Delete
  2. I love seeing Sacre Coeur as I come into Paris from Roissy. It stands out from afar. I also like watching the sunset from those steps with all the tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed seeing Sacré-Coeur on arrival too.

      Delete
  3. I've always been on the fence about this building. Never been inside but been up close.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?