02 February 2023

Février 2018 (2)


Three pictures taken in February 2018, showing the atmosphere at this time of year here in Saint-Aignan

This morning I'm more preoccupied with our fibre optique installation than I am with photos. Yesterday we noticed big differences in download and upload speeds depending on which computer we're running the speed tests on. We have three Android tablets, one Android smartphone, and six Windows PCs in the house. All the Windows computers are running Windows 10, with the exception of the laptop running Windows 11. All the devices are on wifi, not wired connections.

The download speeds vary from 21 Mbps on two PCs to as high as 221 Mbps on one tablet. The upload speeds vary from just 11 Mbps on one PC to as high as 243 Mbps on one tablet. I don't believe there are any typos in those last two sentences.

What explains such exaggerated performance differences? The wifi adapters that the devices have installed (or plugged into their USB ports). Only one of these devices has a dual-band wifi adapter in it as far as I can determine. Can that be the difference?

6 comments:

  1. How old are the Wiffy adapters and what was their speed rating?
    That's all I can think of... ours is all wired for the PCs... and I am using Cat 8 connections... with the exception of the one to the longère which is 45mtres of Cat 5E and I am not planning on redoing that... if the rats get it, I am going Wiffy between the buildings... costs about a third more than re-running the wire!!
    If I upload a photo of 9Mb, there is a sort of hesitatation then it's there and I'm typing in the caption, etc.....
    A 3Mb file [Facebook sized and the maximum I'd attempt to upload] is just there... no slight hesitation, no waiting.... I used to have to watch the wheel spin for 30 secs plus before! And 9Mb files I wouldn't even have attempted!!

    Our router is rated at 300Kbps and its Wiffy is dual-band.
    I haven't run any speed programs, the visible difference is good enough for me!!

    Tim at La Forge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, I bought a dual-band wifi adapter and connected it to a usb port on my main desktop computerr. Suddenly my download and upload speeds went from about 35 Mbps to nearly 200 Mbps. Now I just have to get Walt's going with a dual-band adapter. I have one to plug into it this morning.

      Delete
  2. This question is over my head. I learned computers on punch cards. For real. In college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this is Chinese to me. Not completely Greek because I can read it, even though I don’t understand it!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?