06 February 2023

Février 2009 (2)

These are three pictures I took of Notre-Dame de Paris on February 15, 2009. I was on my way from Saint-Aignan to North Carolina, and was spending the night before fly out in a hotel in Paris, near the Panthéon. Notre-Dame is a short walk from there.


I took this picture of the west front of Notre-Dame at about 10:30 p.m.


I had taken this one from upriver at about 5:00 p.m.


And finally, here's one that I took just a minute before the one above. Can you believe that people are sitting out in the sun down by the Seine on February 15? That south-facing wall must have been pretty warm.

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, the spire! Gone, gone, gone :(
    I'm thankful they are saving so much else of the building.
    Must have been a pretty nice day, that day in February (although one person looks like she may be wrapped in a blanket?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisians had probably lived indoors for months, many in tiny apartments, because of rain and damp and drear. They were eager to get out and enjoy sunshine, I imagine, even if it was still chilly out there.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if the spire will be rebuild. It was not authentic after all; it was some kind of 19th century recreation by the architect Viollet-le-Duc, better known for saving the Cité de Carcassonne and rebuilding the château de Pierrefonds, almost completely new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on me! …rebuilt… sorry.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know that the spire was added, but now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else, I noticed the great picture of the original roof. I hope the rebuild the spire. Though not original, it had a great look and went well with the building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the spire will be rebuilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a mistake to rebuild the roof beams and the spire in wood rather than metal or concrete.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?