05 February 2023

Février 2009 (1)

The winter of 2023 has been very damp and gray, but it's not always that way in a northern France winter. Here are some photos that I took in Paris in February 2009, on one of the trips to the U.S. that I used to take. I'd go to Paris by train the day before flying out of CDG airport, spend the night in a hotel, walk around and take pictures, and then have dinner. The next morning I'd take a suburban train out to the airport to catch my flight. I miss those trips.


Above left, the Église Saint-Étienne du Mont, just behind the Panthéon, near the hotel where I stayed in 2009
Above right, the Panthéon seen from the bottom of the rue Soufflot, near the Boulevard Saint-Michel

Le Panthéon, au Quartier Latin à Paris


Above left, that's me in a kind of selfie in 2009, when I was looking for a place to have dinner
In 1974-76, I spent a lot of time in the building on the right, where I worked for the University of Illinois
study abroad program while taking and teaching classes at the nearby Sorbonne

7 comments:

  1. There was a nice little hotel up by the Pantheon and a jail as I recall you telling me about. Linda was with us when we stayed in that hotel and her single room had a view of Sacré Coeur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures of the Pantheon and the St Etienne du Monde church. Although I’ve seen them before, they were both on my list to show my first time to Paris travel friend but because of miserable colds and cold weather we didn’t make it. Next time. It took two days to get from Paris to Orlando. Flying is not for the feint of heart these days.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. du Mont. Sorry.
    BA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I saw that photo of the Panthéon, I seem to remember something that happened to you near or in the Mairie du 5e arrondissement, but I can’t exactly remember what it was. Did you have to spend the night there? In jail?Maybe it had to do with the Bibliothèque Ste-Geneviève? I’m probably mixing things and people? No, I didn’t dream of it after all. You posted it on 12 July 2016! Jailbird!

    https://ckenb.blogspot.com/2016/07/up-close-neighborhood-around-pantheon.html

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?