19 February 2023

Février 2003 (12)

On my 24-hour layover day in Paris in February 2003, I took more than 500 pictures. So it won't surprise you if I tell you that there are nearly half a million images in my photo database. I was staying overnight in a hotel near les Invalides. It was a neighborhood Walt and I knew a little, and the first two restaurants below, le Centenaire and le Rcrutement, were places where he and I had enjoyed meals several times.


Below, the restaurant des Mauvais Garçons is another place where we had had dinner a few years earlier. It's on a street called la rue des Mauvais Garçons near the Hôtel de Ville. A woman we knew lived near there and had recommended the restaurant. She went to dinner there with us.


Walt and I also once enjoyed having a meal at the restaurant Sara Bernhardt at Châtelet. It was a cold, damp, and windy day. I think we both had colds. The food was hot and nourishing and the café's windows were all fogged up. During a gusty snow shower, a flower pot blew off the balcony of an apartment above the restaurant and crashed onto the sidewalk. If I remember correctly... Finally, I've never had a meal at the Café-Brasserie aux PTT, but it's on my list of places I'd like to try if and when I get back to Paris one day. It's on the rue Cler, the famous market street near the place de l'Ecole Militaire and not far from the Eiffel Tower. The café gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.

4 comments:

  1. Even though the P.T.T. is now an anachronism, the bar still exists under the name of Aux PTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Café fronts are some of my favorite scenes in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les Mauvais Garçons is still open and has very good reviews on Tripadvisor. What a cool name. PTT has mostly good reviews - I'm wondering what the letter stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour D. — Les P.T.T. = Poste,Télégraphe et Téléphone. La Poste est devenue une entité indépendante et les deux T sont devenus les Télécommunications ratachées au ministère de la Culture et de la Communication.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?