16 September 2022

Yes, Duke University, and beyond

About the last place Walt and I saw before leaving the U.S. to come live in France in 2003 was the Duke University campus. I don't know if Walt had seen it before, but maybe we had driven down there when we lived in Washington DC in the 1980s. Duke, in Durham NC, is where I left from when I left North Carolina. I had been very lucky to be able to do my undergraduate studies there. If I hadn't been awarded a good scholarship by Duke, I probably would have enrolled at the University of North Carolina, I and probably would have spent four happy years there. But that didn't happen. Then, in 2003, there I was leaving the U.S. (maybe for good), and Duke was again my jumping-off point.

    
I really didn't plan to make French my major academic subject at Duke. I had been studying the language for five years (four of those years in high school) when, in my second year at Duke, I decided not to take any more French classes. I had done my duty and had greatly enjoyed the classes in French literature taught by a famous professor named Wallace Fowlie. But I wasn't sure what career I would pursue with a bachelor's degree in French as my only credential.

    
When I think back on it, that first semester of my sophomore year, with no French classes, was one of the most miserable years of my academic career. Second semester, I signed up for a French conversation class. That helped. Then I made the decision to focus on French for my two final years at Duke. And I also signed up to spend a semester in France as part of the Vanderbilt University study abroad program in Aix-en-Provence in 1970, with which Duke had an informal partnership. I was happy again.

    
When I finished my undergraduate studies, I applied to graduate school programs at several big universities in the U.S. middle west — Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois. Following the advice of Duke's professor Fowlie, I ended up deciding to enroll at the University of Illinois. I spent five years in the French department at Champaign-Urbana, alternating with six years in France (Rouen and Paris) facilitated the university. In 1982, I left Paris after living there for three years and returned to the U.S. I settled in Washington DC, where CHM hired me as his assistant on the editorial staff of a magazine published in French by the U.S. government. We worked in French, so for me it wasn't very different from living in Paris. I didn't suspect at that point that I would end up living in California for more than 15 years. Or that I would now be wrapping up 20 years of residency in France.

7 comments:

  1. There are so many ways that our choices each day can affect the rest of our lives, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sweet Bear has a Phd from Duke in Classics (Greek and Roman stuff.) I have been there a couple of times. UNC Chapel Hill would also have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several of my friends did Vandy in France. Aix is a nice place to spend some time when one is young. Once France is in your blood, it never leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn’t it interesting what happens when you follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a warm feeling I got when you stated that you felt much better once you had gone back to speaking french in the french conversation class. Some of us are just francophiles from the get-go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite striking how similar some of the gothic architectural styles on show here are to some places in the UK too!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?