30 September 2022

Just four years ago

Hurricane Ian is aimed at the Carolina coast this morning. The storm seems now to be taking a turn toward the north and moving more and more toward the NC coast rather than toward Charleston SC. It was only four years ago that the same area, between Charleston and Morehead City NC (my home town) was devastated by a hurricane called Florence. Flooding was widespread and disastrous. Until recently, people there were still trying to repair the damage Florence caused.


The spectacular picture above was taken in September 2018 by a photographer named Travis Long for the Raleigh News & Observer newspaper. This is the Oceanana fishing pier on the barrier island across Bogue Sound from downtown Morehead, during Hurricane Florence. The end of the pier washed away in that storm.

This is one of my photos of the Oceanana fishing pier. I took it on a stormy day a few years ago. I imagine this is what it will look like there today.

This morning I'm glued to CNN watching the reports from Florida and now awaiting reports from the Carolinas. I'm especially worried about family and friends in NC, and about a friend who lives in Naples FL. She and I became friends in California and worked together in Silicon Valley from 1989 until 1995. I hope she's okay. I hope her house has survived the storm.

9 comments:

  1. Keeping good thoughts for your family and friends. (And hoping your finger is doing better.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bleeding has stopped. As for the hurricane, the jury is out.

      Delete
  2. This is such a frightening storm.
    Glad to know that your bleeding has stopped. One of my students severely cut himself the other day, also with a paring knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything ok here so far. I have been up about half an hour and its raining but not much wind yet. Going to the mission soon but I doubt many will come. We are worried about flooding at mission because the water covers the street some days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let’s hope Morehead City will be spared the furor of nature. Your sister sounds somewhat optimistic; as Evelyn says, let’s hope the mission will stay dry; it’s important to Morehead City and to Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new iPad iis not tamed yet! And neither are Google and Blogger!

      Delete
  5. On the new ipad the “Google account” is greyed for whatever reason. So I have to be Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to add your Google account to the accounts available in the Settings App on iPad. Then it won't be grayed out.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?