01 September 2022

More about Morehead marshes





Calico Creek is only about 2½ miles long. It's a brackish tidal creek, not a fast-flowing stream.






It ends in a body of water called Calico Bay that joins up with Newport River, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean through Beaufort Inlet.






Toward its eastern end, it's full of oyster beds (see video).




Why "calico"? Once I read a history that said that is centuries past a merchant came to town periodically and spread samples of calico cloth along the banks of the creek. The name stuck.




I took these last two pictures at the eastern tip of Bogue Banks, on the shores of Beaufort Inlet, in Fort Macon State Park.





I believe what you see here is what was formerly a fresh-water pond that has recently been "poisoned" by salty ocean water, maybe as a result of a storm surge.

 

3 comments:

  1. I didn't see the ocean until i was seven. Luckily I lived near marshlands for two years when Lewis was stationed in Liberty County, Georgia. I miss the fresh crab and shrimp we had there and flounder- we caught them in traps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to go fishing and crabbing (crab traps) on the docks along the waterfront in Morehead. And we would go clamming on the barrier island (Bogue Banks) in summertime with rakes and buckets. One year Joanna, Ginger and her husband, and I went across to the island that's just offshore of downtown Beaufort and picked up a ton of scallops.

      Delete
    2. I would love to find scallops like that and clams, too. Those are great memories.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?